By: M Brock Fenton(Editor), Alan D Grinnell(Editor), Arthur N Popper(Editor), Richard R Fay(Editor)
304 pages, 21 colour & 49 b/w illustrations, 38 colour tables
Arguably biosonar is one of the 'eye-opening' discoveries about animal behavior and the auditory systems of echolocators are front and center in this story. Echolocation by bats has proven to be a virtual gold mine for colleagues studying neurobiology, while providing many rich examples of its impact on other areas of bats' lives. In Bat Bioacoustics the editors briefly review the history of the topic (in the vein of the 1995 Hearing by Bats). We use a chapter on new findings in the phylogeny of bats to put the information that follows in an evolutionary context. This includes an examination of the possible roles of Prestin and FoxP2 genes and various anatomical features affecting bat vocalizations. We introduce recent work on the role of noseleafs, ears, and other facial components on the focusing of sound and collection of echoes.
- A History of the Study of Echolocation
- Phylogeny, Genes, and Hearing - Implications for the Evolution of Echolocation in Bats
- Ultrasound Production, Emission, and Reception
- To Scream or to Listen? Prey Detection and Discrimination in Animal-Eating Bats
- Roles of Acoustic Social Communication in the Lives of Bats
- Guild Structure and Niche Differentiation in Echolocating Bats
- Neural Coding of Signal Duration and Complex Acoustic Objects
- The Neural Processing of Frequency Modulations in the Auditory System of Bats
- Behavioral and Physiological Bases for Doppler Shift Compensation by Echolocating Bats
- Perceiving the World Through Echolocation and Vision
- Perspectives and Challenges for Future Research in Bat Hearing
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
I don't know how you got a book printed 26 years ago in the conditions that I received it (like new) but you do it! ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985