Ringed by high mountains and once ravaged by ethnic tensions, Kosovo is enjoying a tourism renaissance. Welcoming Kosovars have rebuilt their country and now is the perfect time to discover the potential of this once-unknown region. Fully updated and revised by two Kosovo experts, who both lived in the newly independent state for many years, Bradt's "Kosovo" explores a land rich in cultural heritage and stunning scenery.
From hip urban hotspots to remote mosques and monasteries, Kosovo offers up delights for every type of traveller. With detailed descriptions of the lively cafe culture as well as the burgeoning restaurant, bar and shopping scene, plus accommodation to suit all budgets, this second edition to a ground-breaking guide is the ideal companion for tourists, NGOs and long-term visitors.
"A book that educates and stimulates."
– Real Travel
Part One: General Information
- Background Information
- Geography; Climate; Natural history and conservation areas; History; Government and politics; Economy; People; Language; Religion; Education; Culture
- Practical Information
-When to visit; Highlights; Tour operators; Red tape; Getting there and away; Health; Safety; What to take; Money; Getting around; Accommodation; Eating and drinking; Public holidays and festivals; Shopping; Sports and activities; Media and communications; Business; Cultural etiquette; Living in Kosovo; Time; Travelling positively
Part Two: The Guide
- History; Getting there and away; Getting around; Where to stay; Where to eat; Entertainment and nightlife; Shopping; Sports and activities; Other practicalities; What to see and do
- Central Kosovo
- Gračanica; Around Gračanica; Memorial complex of the Battle of Kosovo (Gazimestan); Sultan Murat Türbe (Sultan Murat mausoleum); Janjevo/Janjevë; Lipjan/Lipljan; Outside Lipjan; Shpella e Gadimës (Cave of Gadimë); Gllogovc/Glogovac; Around Gllogovc; Battlava Lake
- Western Kosovo
- Peja/Peć; The Peć Patriarchate; Outside Peja; Rugova Valley; Klinë/Klina; Mirusha Waterfalls; Deçan/Dečani; Isniq; Dranoc; Junik; Gjakova/Djakovica; Outside Gjakova
- South Kosovo
- Prizren; Outside Prizren - on the Zhupa Valley Road; North of Prizren; Dragash/Dragaš municipality; Around Dragash; Rahovec/Orahovac; Outside Rahovec; Suha; Rekë/Suva Reka/Therandë; Zhupa Valley; Brezovica; Štrpce/Shterpcë; Walking near Štrpce
- Southeast Kosovo
- History; Geography; Gjilan/Gnjilane; Outside Gjilan; Novobërdë/Novo Brdo; Kamenicë/ Kosovska Kamenica; Ferizaj/Urosevač; Outside Ferizaj; Viti/Vitina; Letnica/Letnicë; Kaçanik/Kačanik; Around Kaçanik
- Northern Kosovo
- Vushtrri/Vučitrn; Skenderaj/Srbica; Mitrovica region; Mitrovica/Kosovska Mitrovica; Outside Mitrovica; Leposavić/Leposaviq; Around Leposavić; Zubin Potok: Gazivoda Lake
Albanian and Serbian Place Names
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Fluent Albanian-speaker Gail Warrander worked for the EU-funded economic reconstruction effort in Kosovo. Verena Knaus lived and worked in Kosovo between 2001-2004 and is a senior analyst with the European Stability Initiative.