By: Jay C Dunlap(Editor), Jennifer J Loros(Editor), Patricia J DeCoursey(Editor)
382 pages, colour & b/w photos, illustrations
The study of how solar- and lunar- related rhythms are governed by living pacemakers within organisms constitutes the scientific discipline of chronobiology. The text begins with a general introduction to the formalisms and vocabulary which describe circadian rhythmicity, followed by an analysis of behavioral and ecological importance of rhythms and their theoretical bases. A central block of four chapters develops the comparative anatomy, physiology, genetics and molecular biology of organisms within circadian clocks. Examples from the real world and from current and classic research are included and a final chapter looks to the future by exploring six cutting-edge areas of research.
- Overview of Biological Timing from Unicells to Humans
- The Behavioral Ecology and Evolution of Biological Timing Systems
- Fundamental propeties of Circadian Rhythms
- Circannual Rhythms and Photoperiodism
- Functional Organization of Circadian Systems in Multicellular Animals
- Cell Physiology of Circadian Timing Systems In Metazoan Animals
- Molecular Biology of Circadian Pacemaker Systems
- Adapting to Life on a Rotating World at the Gene Expression Level
- Human Circadian organization
- the Relevance of Circadian Rhythms for Human Welfare
- Looking Forward
- Species List
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Jay C. Dunlap is Chairman of the Department of genetics at Dartmouth Medical School. He has co-edited 16 books in genetics and published over 100 articles on the genetics and the molecular biology of circadian systems.
Jennifer J. Loros is Professor of Biochemistry and of Genetics at Dartmouth Medical School. She serves as Associate Editor for the journal Genetics and is on the advisory board for the Journal of Biological Rhythms.
Patricia J. De Coursey is Distinguished Professor of Biology in the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of South Carolina.
Your orders support book donation projects
my first port of call for ordering books
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985