By: Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)(Author)
19 pages, tables
A new approach to conserving the UK's wildlife and habitats has been published today by the Government.
The new framework called 'Conserving Biodiversity – The UK Approach', calls for joined up working across the public, voluntary and business sectors in the UK on a variety of agreed goals and priorities for the greater good of biodiversity.
The framework has been agreed by the UK Government and the devolved administrations. Shared priorities for action will include developing data, taking targeted action for priority species and habitats, engaging people and encouraging behaviour change. The needs of biodiversity will need to continue to be embedded into all relevant sectors of policy.
Achievement of this vision will require a more holistic or ecosystems approach, where we recognise the interconnections between living things, their environment, and the services they provide. Our climate is changing, and it is more vital than ever before that our conservation efforts help our most important wildlife habitats to adapt and increase their chances of survival.
Conserving biodiversity: the UK approach sets out ways in which individuals can help promote biodiversity:
- Create, or encourage others to create, wildlife friendly spaces - at home, in your local community and through work.
- Enjoy your local wildlife friendly space.
- Support the work of wildlife conservation organisations – for example, spend time volunteering for your local wildlife trust or get involved with the British Trust for Ornithology's Garden Birdwatch.
- Think before you buy, for example wildlife-based souvenirs from overseas trips and sustainably-sourced products.
- Record what you see and send results to your Local Records Centre.
- Exercise your civic duties to ensure those that represent your views reflect your environmental concerns.
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
This really is first rate customer service.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985