945 pages, colour & b/w photos, colour & b/w illustrations, tables
Encyclopedia of Caves is a self-contained, beautifully illustrated work dedicated to caves and their unique environments. It includes more than 100 comprehensive articles from leading scholars and explorers in 15 different countries. Each entry is detailed and scientifically sound, yet accessible for students and non-scientists. This large-format reference is enchanced with hundreds of full-color photographs, maps, and drawings from the authors' own work, which provide unique images of the underground environment. This version includes 24 new articles commissioned especially for this 2nd edition.
Praise for the first edition:
"Culver and White have aimed at a broad span of topics, inlcuding some like caves in myths, show caves, Mayan caves and saltpetre mining, which might not be the ones that instantly come to mind [...] If there is any bias it might be towards cave biology, which is no bad thing as this is an area where infomration is not easily available."
- John Goodier, in Reference Reviews, Vol. 19, 2005
"[...] an excellent addition to the very limited currently available literature on caves and karst."
- Andy Baker, Department of Geography, University of Birmingham, in Journal Of Quaternary Science, 2005
"Although scientifically rigorous, the articles are readily approachable by the nonprofessional and at times include the reader in the 'hows' of cave exploration. Truly international in both geography and contributors, this encyclopedia is one for browsing-the perfect assemblage of 15- to 20-minute intellectual diversions."
- American Scientist
1. Types of Caves
2. Cave features
3. Hydrology and Hydrogeology
4. Speleothems and other cave deposits
5. Cave ages and paleoclimate
6. Exceptional caves
7. Biology of particular organisms in caves
9. Cave invasion
10. Biogeography and Diversity
11. Evolution and Adaptation in Caves
12. Exploration of Caves
13. Contemporary use of caves
14. Historical use of caves
15. Ground water contamination and land use hazards in cave regions
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!