By: Somnath Batabyal(Editor)
Environment, Politics and Activism examines the role of the media in environmental politics and activism in the 21st century. It highlights how politics is mediated in myriad ways through newspapers and news channels, through mobile telephony and through social networking sites. Further, it shows how the media creates and influences relevant discourses, builds campaigns and awareness, and adopts and discards issues.
With a range of perspectives on issues of environmental justice and equity, Environment, Politics and Activism scrutinizes how the media discourse on environment shapes our politics, and the role of international politics, finance, youth, newspapers, magazines and 24-hour television. Bringing together academics, activists and media persons, this highly topical book will serve as significant reading for researchers and scholars of development studies and media studies, as well as policymakers, NGOs and environmental campaigners.
Introduction Somnath Batabyal
1. The (Im)possibility of Critique in Developmental Debates Hanna Werner
2. Chasing the Long Tail of Climate Change Matti Pohjonen
3. Greenathon: Organizing the Social-Conscience of Post-Liberalization Urban India Smita Maitra
4. New Delhi's Times: Creating a Myth for a City Somnath Batabyal
5. Banishing the Hyphen: The Rural-Urban Divide and Mainstream Television in India Pratap Pandey
6. Politics of Body Spectacle: Old Movements Creating New(s) Stories Shalini Sharma
7. A Coming Out Party for Indian Waste Pickers? Pondering the Dilemmas of Making Local Environmentalism Global Bharati Chaturvedi
8. Not Politics of the Usual: Youth Environmental Movements Kartikeya Singh
9. The Environmental Collective of Goias Youth Tiago E.G. Rodrigues
About the Editor
Notes on Contributors
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Somnath Batabyal is Lecturer, Media in Development, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, United Kingdom.
Your orders support book donation projects
The efficiency of supply, favourable pricing, and the friendly personal service we receive, makes dealing with NHBS a real pleasure
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985