The Mississippi and Yangtze (Changjiang) River Basins, the largest basins of North America and Asia, serve as the principal navigational waterways and main water sources, and play important economic, social, cultural, and ecological roles in the two continents. Maintaining healthy and productive fisheries and the integrity of aquatic ecosystems are important for achieving sustainability in both basins. The basins share many taxa, and have experienced some of the same environmental challenges to their fisheries.
Fishery Resources, Environment, and Conservation in the Mississippi and Yangtze (Changjiang) River Basins examines fishery resources and environment of the two basins. It provides an overview of fishery resources, geology, land use, hydrology, and environment; evaluates endangered and invasive species, biodiversity, and conservation; and assesses anthropogenic stressors, floodplains, and river restorations in the two basins.
The book will benefit researchers, students, and managers in both basins and other large river basins worldwide in better managing fishery resources and environment.
Part 1 Overview of the Two Basins
- The Mississippi River: A Place for Fish (Harold L. Schramm, Jr. and Brian S. Ickes)
- Status and Development of the Yangtze River: An Ecological View (Huatang Deng, Jiawen Ba, and Daqing Chen)
- Fishes of the Mississippi River (Harold L. Schramm, Jr., Jay T. Hatch, Robert A. Hrabik, and William T. Slack)
- Development and Reform of Lake Commercial Fisheries in the Yangtze River Basin, China (Yuxi Lian, Jiashou Liu, Yushun Chen, Jing Yuan, and Zhongjie Li)
Part 2 Endangered and Invasive Species, Biodiversity, and Conservation
- Paddlefishes and Sturgeons of the Yangtze and Mississippi Rivers: Status, Biology, and Management (Quinton E. Phelps, Kelly Baerwaldt, Daqing Chen, Hao Du, Li Shen, Chenyou Wang, Qiwei Wei, Hui Zhang, and Jan Jeffrey Hoover)
- Bigheaded Carps of the Yangtze and Mississippi Rivers: Biology, Status, and Management (Duane C. Chapman, Daqing Chen, Jan Jeffrey Hoover, Hao Du, Quinton E. Phelps, Li Shen, Chenyou Wang, Qiwei Wei, and Hui Zhang)
- Review of Population Status and Conservation Measures of Baiji and Yangtze Finless Porpoise (Ding Wang, Kexiong Wang, Yujiang Hao, and Jingsong Zheng)
- Predicting Fish Invasions in the Yarlung Zangbo River of the Qinghai–Tibet Plateau, China (Xiaoyun Sui, Xiao Zhang, Yintao Jia, Yifeng Chen, and Dekui He)
- Current Fish Resources in the Upper Reach of the Yangtze River and Conservation Strategies (Xin Gao and Huangzhang Liu)
- Changes in Fisheries Resources in the Hanjiang River and Danjiangkou Reservoir, China (Jing Yuan, Yuguo Xia, Zhongjie Li, Zhan Yin, and Jiashou Liu)
Part 3 Anthropogenic Stressors, Floodplains, and River Restorations
- Managing the Mississippi River in a Nonstationary World: Past Practices and Future Challenges (Jonathan W. F. Remo)
- The Lower Mississippi River Floodplain Ecosystem: Current Status and Future Potential (Michael A. Eggleton, Quenton C. Fontenot, and John R. Jackson)
- The Yangtze River Floodplain: Threats and Rehabilitation (Hong-Zhu Wang, Xue-Qin Liu, and Hai-Jun Wang)
- Agriculture in the Mississippi River Basin: Effects on Water Quality, Aquatic Biota, and Watershed Conservation (Yushun Chen, Mike Daniels, Michele Reba, Jennifer Bouldin, Chris Henry, Pearl Daniel, Sagar Shrestha, Jack Farrelly, Dennis Frame, Dennis Busch, Amber Radatz, Eric Cooley, Beatrix Haggard, James Hendrix, and Donnie Miller)
- Mississippi River Ecosystem Restoration: The Past Forty-Plus Years (Gretchen L. Benjamin, Angeline J. Rodgers, and K. Jack Killgore)
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!