Save 20% on any book* in the “Animal” series from Reaktion Books *Does not include the forthcoming titles, Chicken, Wolf, Trout and Sparrow We think these are the perfect gift for the wildlife enthusiast - there are over 40 books in the series so far, covering mammals, birds, insects and fish… not to mention the odd crustacean and mollusc! Each book in […]
Tag Archives | feature
Over the past 20 years dramatic declines have taken place in UK insect populations. Eventually, such declines must have knock-on effects for other animals, especially high profile groups such as birds and mammals. This authoritative, yet accessible account details the current state of the wildlife in Britain and Ireland and offers an insight into the outlook for the future.
Written by a team of the country’s leading experts, it appraises the changes that have occurred in a wide range of wildlife species and their habitats and outlines urgent priorities for conservation. It includes chapters on each of the vertebrate and major invertebrate groups, with the insects covered in particular depth. Also considered are the factors that drive environmental change and the contribution at local and government level to national and international wildlife conservation. Essential reading for anyone who is interested in, and concerned about, UK wildlife.
With a foreword by Sir David Attenborough.
The Butterflies of Britain & Ireland is an authoritative account of our butterflies, accessibly written and beautifully illustrated. First published in 1991, it sold out in the early 1990s and was never reprinted.
NHBS is just about to receive stock of this stunning new book about tigers by acclaimed wildlife photographer Andy Rouse. Andy is giving 25% of the profits from this book to tiger conservation projects.
1. The Bird Photography Field Guide 2. Field Guide to the Micro-Moths of Great Britain and Ireland 3. Herpetofauna Workers' Manual 4. A Field Guide to the Birds of Brazil 5. Bird Monitoring Methods 6. Birdwatching in Northern Greece 7. Primates of Africa - Poster 8. Ecology 9. Field Guide to the Seashores of Eastern Africa and the Western Indian Ocean Islands 10. The Encyclopedia of Fruit & Nuts
Recently on the Hoopoe
- What the reviewers say about Elizabeth Kolbert’s The Sixth Extinction
- How to photograph a grass snake with a Bushnell X-8 trail camera
- 10 Summer Holiday Reads from NHBS
- In search of Odonata: an interview with ‘Dragonflight’ author Marianne Taylor
- The Beauty in the Beast: Hugh Warwick, ecologist and writer, on hedgehogs, boring piddocks and the badger question