By: Patricia Dasch(Editor)
265 pages, 85 illustrations, 2 tables
Earth is the only planet known to have liquid water, and water ice has been present over parts of the Earth for much of its history. This book focuses on the occurrence and significance of ices, and considers implications of the reservoirs of water ice for the presence of life elsewhere in our solar system, and for habitability by human explorers who may venture to these distant worlds in the future.
Please note that the publisher has cancelled plans for a paperback version.
"Icy Worlds of the Solar System is an excellent little book [...] the coverage is remarkably wide [...] a book that will richly reward readers for the time they devote to it."
– The Journal of the British Astronomical Association
"This book would be a good introduction for undergraduate students, as well as appealing to those with a layman's interest."
"[...] there is much of value in this volume. [...] To the majority of us ice is most familiar in a gin and tonic, as a surface for skating or an irritant on the winter morning commute, but this useful book provides a unifying theme that should be of interest to all geologists and astrobiologists."
– Geological Magazine
"[...] will richly reward readers for the time they devote to it."
– Journal of the British Astronomical Association
Introduction J. I. Lunine
1. The history and significance of ice on Earth R. Bindschadler
2. Ice on Mercury and the Moon B. Butler
3. How the Earth got its atmosphere T. Owen
4. The frozen landscape of Mars M. T. Mellon
5. The ice moons of Sol P. M. Schenk
6. Triton, Pluto, and beyond J. A. Stansberry
7. Comets: ices from the beginning of time D. P. Cruikshank
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Pat Dasch is a consultant in the space industry, specialising in policy and public outreach.
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS is my favorite supplier (very professional and fast). Bravo!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985