NHBS is committed to contributing to the sustainable management of the global environment by acting responsibly and considering environmental, social and economic factors in all business processes. We recognise the importance of managing our own direct and indirect environmental impacts and of applying the principle of sustainable development by meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
Paper Use and Recycling
- We constantly try to reduce the amount of printed-paper produced. Where possible we print on both sides of the paper.
- All packaging material that we receive from suppliers is reused where possible.
- The majority of the cardboard packaging we buy is recycled.
- The polystyrene packing chips used in some of our packaging are recycled and recyclable.
- Printer cartridges are recycled through the manufacturer.
- Waste paper, plastic and cardboard are recycled through a specialist, licensed contractor.
- Approved Local Council contractors are used for the appropriate removal of non-recyclable waste.
Electrical devices and lighting are switched off when not in use.
Disposal of Computer Hardware
Old electrical products are disposed off through a specialist, licensed contractor.
Public transport is used where possible in preference to cars for business travel.
Lightly damaged stock or unwanted items are donated to a World Land Trust project to distribute books to conservation projects in developing countries or to Book Aid International.