This fully updated new edition introduces the core concepts, central thinkers, and major works of the burgeoning field of political ecology.
- Explores the key arguments and contemporary explanatory challenges facing the sub-discipline
- Provides the first full history of the development of political ecology over the last century and its theoretical underpinnings
- Considers the major challenges facing the field now and for the future
- Study boxes introduce key figures in the development of the discipline and summarize their most important works
- Fully updated to include recent events, such as the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill, as well as both urban and rural examples, from the developed and underdeveloped world
Preface to the Second Edition vii Introduction 1 Part I What is Political Ecology? 9 1 Political versus Apolitical Ecologies 11 2 A Tree with Deep Roots 25 3 The Critical Tools 49 4 Political Ecology Emerges 82 Part II Conceptual and Methodological Challenges 101 5 Challenges in Ecology 103 6 Challenges in Social Construction 122 7 Challenges in Explanation 143 Part III Political Ecology Now 155 8 Degradation and Marginalization 157 9 Conservation and Control 176 10 Environmental Confl ict 199 11 Environmental Subjects and Identities 215 12 Political Objects and Actors 231 Part IV Where to Now? 245 13 Beyond Political Ecology? 247 References 254 Index 277
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Paul Robbins is Professor and Director of the School of Geography and Development at the University of Arizona. He is the author of numerous publications including "World Regions in a Global Context: People, Places, and Environments" (with S. Marston, P.Knox, D. Liverman and V. Del Casino, 2010), "Environment and Society: A Critical Introduction" (with J. Hintz and S. Moore, Wiley-Blackwell, 2010), and "Global Political Ecology" (co-edited with R. Peet and M. Watts, 2011).
Your orders support book donation projects
the world’s foremost supplier of natural history and environmental books
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985