600 pages, B/w photos, illus, tabs, figs, maps
A concise treatment of the fundamental principles of sedimentology and stratigraphy, featuring the important physical, chemical, biological and stratigraphic characteristics of sedimentary rocks. Emphasized are the ways in which the study of sedimentary rocks is used to interpret depositional environments, changes in ancient sea level, and other intriguing aspects of Earth history. Key Topics include the origin and transport of sedimentary materials; physical properties of sedimentary rocks; composition, classification and diagenesis of sedimentary rocks and principles of stratigraphy and basin analysis.
1. Weathering and Soils
2. Transport and Deposition of Siliciclastic Sediment
3. Sedimentary Textures
4. Sedimentary Structures
5. Siliciclastic Sedimentary Rocks
6. Carbonate Sedimentary Rocks
7. Other Chemical/Biochemical and Carbonaceous Sedimentary Rocks
8. Continental (Terrestrial) Environments
9. Marginal-Marine Environments
10. Siliciclastic Marine Environments
11. Carbonate and Evaporite Environments
13. Seismic, Sequence, and Magnetic Stratigraphy
15. Chronostratigraphy and Geologic Time
16. Basin Analysis, Tectonics, and Sedimentation
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Sam Boggs received his B.S. degree from the University of Kentucky in 1956 and a Ph.D. degree from the University of Colorado in 1964. He worked as a petroleum exploration geologist (1956-61) and a research geologist (1964-65) before coming to the University of Oregon in 1965. He is currently professor emeritus at the University. He also held one-year appointments at the University of Tokyo and National Taiwan University, and a six-month appointment at Argonne National Laboratory, University of Chicago. In addition, he worked intermittently (summers) as a research geologist for the U. S. Geological Survey. He has published numerous articles in professional journals as well as four books, including two textbooks in several editions each. His publications cover a wide variety of scientific disciplines: oceanography, sedimentology, stratigraphy, sedimentary petrology, cathodoluminescence imaging, and backscattered electron microscopy.