500 pages, 246 colour & 91 b/w illustrations, 60 tables
Predicting water runoff in ungauged water catchment areas is vital to practical applications such as the design of drainage infrastructure and flooding defences, runoff forecasting, and for catchment management tasks such as water allocation and climate impact analysis. This important new book synthesises decades of international research, forming a holistic approach to catchment hydrology and providing a one-stop resource for hydrologists in both developed and developing countries. Topics include data for runoff regionalisation, the prediction of runoff hydrographs, flow duration curves, flow paths and residence times, annual and seasonal runoff, and floods. Illustrated with many case studies and including a final chapter on recommendations for researchers and practitioners, Runoff Prediction in Ungauged Basins is written by expert authors involved in the prestigious IAHS PUB initiative. It is a key resource for academic researchers and professionals in the fields of hydrology, hydrogeology, ecology, geography, soil science, and environmental and civil engineering.
"[...] this book represents a step forward in advancing hydrologic theory. In combing through many hydrologic representations and inferential approaches to contrast their performances in several contextual frames, the authors have provided a coherent and solid platform from which to explore hydrologic processes."
- Charles Luce, Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union
List of Contributors
Foreword Thomas Dunne
Preface G. Blöschl, M. Sivapalan, T. Wagener, A. Viglione and H. H. G. Savenije
1. Introduction G. Blöschl, M. Sivapalan, T. Wagener, A. Viglione and H. H. G. Savenije
2. A synthesis framework for runoff predictions in ungauged basins T. Wagener, G. Blöschl, D. C. Goodrich, H. V. Gupta, M. Sivapalan, Y. Tachikawa, P. A. Troch and M. Weiler
3. A data acquisition framework for predictions of runoff in ungauged basins B. L. McGlynn, G. Blöschl, M. Borga, H. Bormann, R. Hurkmans, J. Komma, L. Nandagiri, R.Uijlenhoet and T. Wagener
4. Process realism: flow paths and storage D. Tetzlaff, G. Al-Rawas, G. Blöschl, S. K. Carey, Ying Fan, M. Hrachowitz, R. Kirnbauer, G. Jewitt, H. Laudon, K. J. McGuire, T. Sayama, C. Soulsby, E. Zehe and T. Wagener
5. Prediction of annual runoff in ungauged basins T. A. McMahon, G. Laaha, J. Parajka, M. C. Peel, H. H. G. Savenije, M. Sivapalan, J. Szolgay, S. E. Thompson, A. Viglione, R. A. Woods and D. Yang
6. Prediction of seasonal runoff in ungauged basins R. Weingartner, G. Blöschl, D. M. Hannah, D. G. Marks, J. Parajka, C. S. Pearson, M. Rogger, J. L. Salinas, E. Sauquet, R. Srikanthan, S. E. Thompson and A. Viglione
7. Prediction of flow duration curves in ungauged basins A. Castellarin, G. Botter, D. A. Hughes, S. Liu, T. B. M. J. Ouarda, J. Parajka, D. A. Post, M. Sivapalan, C. Spence, A. Viglione and R. M. Vogel
8. Prediction of low flows in ungauged basins G. Laaha, S. Demuth, H. Hisdal, C. N. Kroll, H. A. J. van Lanen, T. Nester, M. Rogger, E. Sauquet, L. M. Tallaksen, R. A. Woods and A. Young
9. Prediction of floods in ungauged basins D. Rosbjerg, G. Blöschl, D. H. Burn, A. Castellarin, B. Croke, G. DiBaldassarre, V. Iacobellis, T. R. Kjeldsen, G. Kuczera, R. Merz, A. Montanari, D. Morris, T. B. M. J. Ouarda, L. Ren, M. Rogger, J. L. Salinas, E. Toth and A. Viglione
10. Predictions of runoff hydrographs in ungauged basins Juraj Parajka, Vazken Andreassian, Stacey Archfield, Andras Bardossy, Francis Chiew, Qingyun Duan, Alexander Gelfan, Kamila Hlavcová, Ralf Merz, Neil McIntyre, Ludovic Oudin, Charles Perrin, Magdalena Rogger, Jose Luis Salinas, Hubert Savenije, Jon Skøien, Thorsten Wagener, Erwin Zehe and Yongqiang Zhang
11. Case studies H. H. G. Savenije, M. Sivapalan, Trent Biggs, Shaofeng Jia, L. M. Korytny, E. A. Ilyichyova, B. Gartsman, John Pomeroy, Kevin Shook, Xing Fang, Tom Brown, D. A. Hughes, Stacey A. Archfield, Jos Samuel, Paulin Coulibaly, Robert A. Metcalfe, Attilio Castellarin, Ralf Merz, Günter Humer, Ataur Rahman, Khaled Haddad, Erwin Weinmann, George Kuczera, Theresa Blume, Armand Crabit, François Colin, Roger Moussa, Hessel Winsemius, Hubert Savenije, Jens Liebe, Nick van de Giesen, M. Todd Walter, Tammo S. Steenhuis, Jeffrey R. Kennedy, David C. Goodrich, Carl L. Unkrich, Dominic Mazvimavi, Neil R. Viney, K. Takeuchi, H. A. P. Hapuarachchi, A. S. Kiem, H. Ishidaira, T. Q. Ao, J. Magome, M. C. Zhou, M. Georgievski, G. Wang, C. Yoshimura, Berit Arheimer and Göran Lindström
12. Synthesis across processes, places and scales H. V. Gupta, G. Blöschl, J. J. McDonnell, H. H. G. Savenije, M. Sivapalan, A. Viglione and T. Wagener
13. Recommendations K. Takeuchi, G. Blöschl, H. H. G. Savenije, J. C. Schaake, M. Sivapalan, A. Viglione, T. Wagener and G. Young
Appendix: summary for policy makers
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!