A major reference describing the functional biology of mosquitoes. Its coverage is broad in scope and also in time as it includes important work from the past that is often overlooked. Volume 1 starts with an account of aspects of mosquito genetics of functional interest, and continues with treatments of development, of larval and adult nutrition and of reproduction.
" [...] surpassingly accurate and eminently readable [...] . deserves a prominent place on the reading lists of introductory as well as advanced courses dealing with vector biology."
- Medical and Veterinary Entomology
" [...] there can be few mosquito biologists who would not learn much by reading this book [...] . Professor Clements is to be congratulated on his achievement in making such a vast body of knowledge so readily available."
- Bulletin of Entomological Research
"This volume will long serve as a guide for everyone dealing with mosquitoes and other Diptera of medical and veterinary importance."
- Aspects of genetics
- the egg shell
- larval feeding
- larval nutrition, excretion and respiration
- osmotic and ionic regulation
- growth and development
- the circulatory system
- the endocrine system and hormones
- adult food and feeding mechanisms
- the salivary glands and their secretions
- structure of the adult alimentary canal
- adult digestion
- adult energy metabolism
- adult diuresis, excretion and defaecation
- structure of the gonads and gonoducts
- spermatogenesis and the structure of spermatozoa
- hormonal regulation of ovarian development in anautogenous mosquitoes
- nutrition and fertility of anautogenous mosquitoes
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
On behalf of Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi I would like to thank NHBS. The book will be very useful for my students.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985