A reprint of a classical work in the Cambridge Library Collection.
The botanist Robert Brown (1773-1858) is regarded as one of the most significant figures in the advancement of plant science in the nineteenth century. After studying at Aberdeen and Edinburgh, he made the acquaintance of Sir Joseph Banks via William Withering, and in 1801 was appointed as naturalist on Matthew Flinders' expedition to Australia. Brown made extensive collections of animals and minerals, but his 3 400 plant specimens from Australia, Tasmania and Timor were the foundation of his work for the rest of his life, as an active member of the Linnean Society, as Banks's librarian, and as an under-librarian in the British Museum. This two-volume collection of his 'miscellaneous botanical works', edited by John J. Bennett, Brown's assistant at the British Museum, was published in 1866-7. It has not been possible to reissue the accompanying quarto volume of plates.
Volume 2 contains 'Systematic Memoirs' and 'Contributions to Systematic Works'.
Part III. Systematic Memoirs
1. Plants called Protaceae
2. The Asclepiadeae
3. Woodsia, a new genus of ferns
4. The natural family of plants called Compositae
5. Three new species of plants found in China
6. Lyellia, a new genus of mosses
7. The structure and affinities of Cephalotus
8. Limnanthes, a new genus of plants
Part IV. Contributions to Systematic Works
1. Genera et species plantarum Cruciferarum
2. Genera et species plantarum Leguminosarum
3. Genera et species plantarum Myrtacearum
4. Genera et species plantarum Compositarum
5. Genera et species plantarum Orchidearum
6. Genera et species plantarum e variis familiis
7. Dr Richardson's botanical appendix to Franklin's 'Voyage to the Polar Sea'
8. Names of and notes on Indian plants
9. Notes and observations on Indian plants
10. Extracts from Plantae Javanicae Rariores
11. Contributions to The Botanical Magazine
12. Contributions to The Botanical Register
13. Names of plants
14. Short contributions to various works
Index of subjects to Volume 2
Index of names and plants to both volumes
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
I would not hesitate for one second to use your company again and recommend you to others. Marks out of 10? Around 99!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985