Combines ecological, taxonomic and methodological information for all scientists working in aquatic environments.
"Freshwater phycologists and aquatic microscopists will welcome this book as the first comprehensive, single-volume treatment of the freshwater algae in over half a century [...] The Editors and their Contributors have done an outstanding job in synthesizing this mass of data, and there is no doubt that this work will be a standard reference, to be followed by up-dated editions."
– Modern Microscopy Journal (2005)
"This is an excellent book that provides extensive taxonomic information that has previously been difficult to access by any but taxonomic specialists. [...] Any student, researcher, or environmental management professional who routinely works with freshwater ecology should have access to this authoritative and thorough book."
– Walter Doods, Kansas State University (August 2002)
"This will be a welcome addition to the shelf of phycological researchers and teachers. The coverage is comprehensive both taxonomically in the range of ecological topics. For those of us specializing in freshwater algae, whether it be identifying them or studying their ecology, this kind of text will be an invaluable reference work."
– Richard M. McCourt, Associate Curator of Botany, The Academy of Natural Sciences (2002)
" [...] finally after half a century we freshwater phycologists have a single, comprehensive volume that updates G.M. Smith's Freshwater Algae of the United States. It is truly impressive work [...] Students, water management types and experienced phycologists will all feel the need to dig out heir plankton nets and scum scrapers, resurrect their hip boots and make some wet mounts just to get a chance to use this book."
– James Wee, Loyola University (2002)
- Introduction to Freshwater Algae
- Freshwater Habits of Algae
- Coccoid and Colonial Cyanobacteria
- Filamentous Cyanobacteria
- Red Algae
- Flagellated Green Algae
- Non-Motile Coccoid and Colonial Green Algae
- Filamentous and Plant-Like Green Algae
- Conjugating Green Algal Filaments and Desmids
- Photosynthetic Euglenoids
- Eustigmatophyte, Raphidophyte, and Tribophyte Algae
- Non-Scaled Golden Algae
- Haptophyte Algae
- Synurophyte Algae
- Centric Diatoms
- Araphid and Monoraphid Diatoms
- Symmetrical Naviculoid Diatoms
- Eunotioid and Aysmmetrical Naviculoid Diatoms
- Keeled Raphid Diatoms
- Cryptophyte Algae
- Brown Algae
- Use of Algae in Environmental Assessments
- Control of Nuisance Algae
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!