422 pages, 16 plates with colour photos and colour illustrations; b/w photos, b/w illustrations, tables
Focused on basics and processes, this textbook teaches plant biology and agriculture applications with summary and discussion questions in each chapter.
- Updates each chapter to reflect advances / changes since the first edition, for example: new biotechnology tools and advances, genomics and systems biology, intellectual property issues on DNA and patents, discussion of synthetic biology tools
- Features autobiographical essays from eminent scientists, providing insight into plant biotechnology and careers
- Has a companion website with color images from the book and PowerPoint slides
- Links with author's own website that contains teaching slides and graphics for professors and students
Review of the first edition:
"The editor [has] gathered the authors of this excellent book in order to 'inform and inspire'. Indeed, nearly every reader [...] can gain information on the practice of plant biotechnology and be inspired by the greatness of the scientists, inventors, and researchers whose important discoveries are highlighted."
– The Quarterly Review of Biology, June 2009
1. The Impact of Biotechnology on Plant Agriculture 1
2. Mendelian Genetics and Plant Reproduction 20
3. Plant Breeding 43
4. Plant Development and Physiology 78
5. Tissue Culture: The Manipulation of Plant Development 107
6. Molecular Genetics of Gene Expression 133
7. Plant Systems Biology 155
8. Recombinant DNA, Vector Design, and Construction 181
9. Genes and Traits of Interest 211
10. Promoters and Marker Genes 233
11. Transgenic Plant Production 262
12. Analysis of Transgenic Plants 293
13. Regulations and Biosafety 311
14. Field Testing of Transgenic Plants 333
15. Intellectual Property in Agricultural Biotechnology: Strategies for Open Access 347
16. Why Transgenic Plants Are So Controversial 366
17. The Future: Advanced Plant Biotechnology, Genome Editing, and Synthetic Biology 383
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
C. Neal Stewart, PhD, is Racheff Chair of Excellence in Plant Molecular Genetics and Professor, Department of Plant Sciences, University of Tennessee. In addition to the prior edition of Plant Biotechnology, he has written Weedy and Invasive Plant Genomics, Plant Transformation Technologies, and Research Ethics for Scientists: A Companion for Students, all published by Wiley.