The compact R-05 is easy to use, affordable, and packed with features that make it as popular for wildlife lovers as it is for recording artists. Experience crystal-clear 24/96 capture, enhanced recording and editing features, and extended battery life (over 16 hours per charge). This is a great recorder for wildlife sounds and for use with bat detectors.
* High-quality stereo recording (24-bit / 96kHz) with the built-in stereo mic or external input.
* Records directly to SD card with extended battery life (over 30 hours continuous playback and over 16 hours continuous recording).
* Strong, robust metallic exterior.
* Onboard editing functions; built-in reverb.
* Auto record start, auto song split, auto level adjust.
* Pre-record function (captures 2 seconds of audio that precedes pressing REC).
* Use as a high-quality portable audio player (plays WAV and MP3 files).
* Windscreen and tripod mount included.
Even though the R-05 integrates perfectly with you computer via USB 2.0, this new-generation recorder doesn't require a PC for editing. For speed and convenience, you can trim, divide, and combine recordings within the R-05 itself. It is also possible to simultaneously record a high-quality WAV file for CD production/sound analysis and an MP3 file for file sharing.
To connect this stereo recorder to a bat detector you will need the following lead;
3.5mm to 3.5mm Stereo Jack to Jack cable lead
Cushion Lined Carrying Pouch
Stand Adapter (allows the R-05 to be used with a full sized microphone stand)
Recording Bat Calls
by Batty Peter in United Kingdom
When I thought about purchasing a recorder for recording Bat calls in the field I decided to opt for a more expensive option than some inb the hope that the quality would be reflected in the price. I was not disappointed.
A small unit that has a user friendly interface and which only took about thirty minutes for me to read the manual and set the system up to my requirements. The display is quite visible in the dark which enables you to monitor both the heterodyne and f/d outputs from my Batbox Duet. Starting and monitoring recordings is simple and you have the option to automatically name your recording files with a date/time stamp which helps when you come to analyse the files after a period of a few days.
Set up for Batsound software, an 8Gb memory card gives me about 12 hours recording time. Be careful though not to make your sound files too long as Batscan is limited to about 5 minutes and Batsound abou 60 minutes file size. I got a bit complaicent about this and lost some nights work because my file sizes were too large. I now discipline myself to starting a new sound file every 30 minutes. Stopping and restarting the recorder takes just two seconds and the automatic date/time stamping for the file names certainly helps you to keep the files in the correct order.
I tried both ninput limiter and AGC (automatic gain control) on the line input and foiund that AGC increased the background noise during quiet periods when no bats were around. This increased noise also mad examination of the sonograms a bit more difficult. So instead of AGC I use the limiter input but set this to the maximum value of 80. To date this has not caused any problems.
My one complaint would be battery useage or rather the battery indicator. This seems to stick at maximum for a long while but when it doies go down it appears to nose dive which leaves you with no power for your session. So take some spare batteries or, as I do, change the batteries after every two sessions (about 4 hours continuous recording) You can then always use these batteries in something else that uses less power, in my case my GPS.
A nice USB port seamlessly connects you into the computer. I have used it on XP, Vista and 7 with no problems so far.
* Tracks: 2 (stereo one pair).
* Signal Processing: AD/DA conversion: 24 bits, 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz.
* Data Type (Recording): WAVE (Sampling Rate: 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz, Bit Depth: 16/24 bits). MP3 (Sampling Rate: 44.1/48 kHz, Bit Rates: 64/96/128/160/192/224/320 kbps). WAVE + MP3 (Sampling Rate: 44.1/48 kHz, Bit Depth: 16 bits, Bit Rates: 128 kbps). (MP3 ...MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3).
* Data Type (Playback): WAVE (Sampling Rate: 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz, Bit Depth: 16/24 bits). MP3 (Sampling Rate: 32/44.1/48 kHz, Bit Rates: 32 - 320 kbps or VBR). (MP3 ...MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3, VBR ...Variable Bit Rate).
* Memory Card: SD Card, SDHC format compatible.
* Audio Inputs: Internal Stereo Microphone, Mic input (Stereo miniature phone type, plug-in powered mic), Line input (Stereo miniature phone type). The Internal/External Mic and the Line input can't be used at the same time (Line input priority).
* Audio Output: Phones (Stereo miniature phone type).
* Nominal Input Level (Variable): Mic input: -33 dBu (MIC GAIN is H, Default input level). Mic input: -15 dBu (MIC GAIN is L, Default input level). Line input: -7 dBu (Default input level) (0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms).
* Input Impedance: Mic input (MIC GAIN is H): 7k ohms. Mic input (MIC GAIN is L): 5k ohms. Line input: 8 k ohms.
* Output Level: 20 mW + 20 mW (In case 16 ohms load).
* Recommended Load Impedance: 16 ohms or greater.
* Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 40 kHz.
* USB Interface: Mini-B type connector (support USB 2.0/1.1 mass storage device class).
* Reverb: 4 types (Hall1, Hall2, Room, Plate).
* Speed change: 50 - 150 % of playback speed.
* Playback only. Excludes playback in 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz.
* Reverb and Speed Change can't be used at the same time.
* Display: 128 x 64 dot graphic display.
* Power Supply: 2 x Alkaline dry battery LR6 (AA) type or 2 x Nickel Hydrogen battery (HR15/51). An AC power adaptor is also available to power the R-05 from a mains supply of electricity. This is available seperately - please contact Customer Services for details.
* Current Draw: 290 mA (maximum).
* Duration of continuous use with Alkaline battery operation: Playback: over 30 hours, Recording: over 16 hours (these figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use).
* Accessories: Owner's manual, Quick start guide, SD card, Batteries (two AA), USB cable (mini-B type), Windscreen.
* Width: 60mm.
* Depth: 103mm.
* Height: 25mm.
* Weight: 140g.
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!