230 pages, 15 b/w illus
A reprint of a classical work in the Cambridge Library Collection.
Published in 1928, Drewitt's engaging study traces the origin and antiquity of the peaceful botanical garden in Chelsea. The garden was established in 1673 by the Society of Apothecaries in order to train apprentices to identify the plants used in medicine that, later on, they would be prescribing for their patients. Revised and enlarged for its third edition, the book recognises the special character of this garden, which still teaches students the names and properties of plants, as it did in the time of the Stuarts.
Preface; Preface to Second Edition; Preface to Third Edition; Introduction; 1. Existence of Apothecaries' Garden from time of the Stuarts; 2. Apothecaries in 1673 take lease of garden in Chelsea; 3. Plants transferred from Westminster to the Chelsea Garden; 4. Sir Hans Sloane; 5. Year 1722 brings new life to Physic Garden; 6. Peter Kalm, pupil of Linnaeus, visits Garden in 1748; 7. Death of younger Linnaeus; 8. Sir Joseph Banks as a boy at Physic Garden; 9. Chelsea Embankment opened in 1874; 10. Old Yew tree; 11. Railings and wall built on Chelsea Embankment; Index.
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!