By: Colin Munn
374 pages, 8 colour plates, b/w photos, colour illustrations, colour tables
Marine micro-organisms play a vital role in the maintenance of our planet, a fact which will have great bearing on our ability to respond to problems such as population increase, over-exploitation of fisheries, climate change and population. Powerful new tools, especially in molecular biology, remote sending and deep-sea exploration, have led to astonishing discoveries of the abundance and diversity of marine microbial life and its role in global ecology. New tools and an increased interest in ecological factors have caused an upsurge of interest in this field of study. The book aims to convey the fascinating discoveries and great importance of this fast moving discipline to the student. Marine Microbiology is divided into three sections: the first reviews the main features of the marine environment and key aspects of marine microbial life; the second looks at the role of marine microorganisms in ecology, and the final section considers some of the applications of this knowledge, looking into areas such as disease and biodegradation.
1. Microbes in the Marine Environment
2. Methods in Marine Microbiology
3. Metabolic Diversity and Ecophysiology
4. Marine Bacteria
5. Marine Archaea
6. Marine Eukaryotic Microbes
7. Marine Viruses
8. Ocean Processes -- Marine Microbes and the Carbon Cycle
9. Nutrient Cycles -- Nitrogen, Sulphur and Phosphorus
10. Symbiotic Associations
11. Microbial Diseases of Marine Organisms
12. Marine Microbes as Agents of Human Disease
13. Microbial Aspects of Marine Biofouling, Biodeterioration and Pollution
14. Marine Microbes and Biotechnology
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
The packaging of both books was superb and they are in pristine condition. Thank you again for the service.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985