Edited By: Pamela Camp, John Gamon and Joseph Arnett
404 pages, 600 colour illustrations, 350 drawings, 350 maps
This book offers a window into the beauty and diversity of the rarest plants in the state. The field guide includes:
- 317 vascular plants, six mosses, and one lichen
- Full-color photographs of the plants and their habitats, line drawings, and distribution maps
- Detailed species descriptions, identification tips, and easiest times to identify the plants
- Current conservation status and state rank
- Complete reference list, and glossary
- Each rare plant is fully characterized according to its appearance, reproductive strategy, associated plants, habitat, current threats, and scarcity in areas outside the state.
A trip across Washington presents an array of habitats, from dripping spruce and hemlock forests along the coast to arid grasslands, shrub-steppe, and sand dune systems east of the mountains, from low-elevation outwash prairies to alpine slopes, from basalt flows and rocky islands to salt marshes and riverbanks. This book brings attention to the rarest and least understood plant species that find niches in this complex landscape.
This guide will be the primary source of information on rare plants for land managers, ecological consultants, and others who need the most recent data on Washington's rare plants. I heartily endorse and recommend it. Art Kruckeberg, author of Natural History of Puget Sound Country "By refreshing the great botanical legacy of Hitchcock, Kruckeberg, Denton, and their ilk with contemporary knowledge and nomenclature, the authors have created a clear and handsome volume of immense conservation importance for our time and for the challeng--ing times to come. What we manage to save of our rich floristic heritage may be largely thanks to this book and its contributors." Robert Michael Pyle, author of The Butterflies of Cascadia
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
the world’s foremost supplier of natural history and environmental books
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985