368 pages, colour illustrations
In this groundbreaking and meticulously field-tested guide, the rich variety of Sierra life--trees, wildflowers, ferns, fungi, lichens, fish, reptiles, amphibians, birds, mammals, and insects--comes alive.
Easy-to-use features include:
- Intuitive organization, color tabs, and simple keys
- Similar-looking species side by side
- Over 2800 full-color illustrations
- Range maps of species that are otherwise difficult to distinguish
- Index of common and scientific names
- Lightweight and compact--ideal for backpacking
Impressively detailed and comprehensive, the guide includes:
- More than 1700 species
- Descriptions of behavior, adaptations, and interactions between species
- Species and topics not found in most guides, including aquatic life, spiders and webs, plankton, plant galls, bark beetle galleries, animal tracks and evidence, seasonal star charts, weather patterns, and cloud formations
Laws was so determined to make it easy for people to use this gude, he crammed a wide range of species into one book so hikers and backpackers would find it easy to take with them. Then he arranged it by species and primary characteristics so, from the inside cover, they can flip quickly to the pages that cover the plant or animal they've seen for a quick identification. Laws' stunning illustrations are accompanied by observations and requests, like on page 309: Keep an eye out for the wolverine, now feared extinct.
-The San Francisco Chronicle
"If you have room for only one Sierra Nevada guidebook in your pack, make it this little gem....Dense with illustration, it's the perfect all-ages introduction to field guides. Well-researched natural history notes pull the reader more deeply into the story of these iconic mountains."
- Sierra Magazine
"From fungi to forest to frogs and fish, the book is a small but powerful treasure of reference to nature."
- The Sacramento Bee
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!