Understanding Animal Welfare examines the contents, influence, and potential of a personal selection of modern books published over the last fifty years that have been relevant to improving welfare. The works selected comprise three earlier classics that mainly deal with animal experimentation and intensive farming, as well as five that concentrate on specific subject areas, namely history, science, applied ethics, politics and law, that are important to protecting the welfare of animals against suffering inflicted by humans. Understanding Animal Welfares are arranged in the order of their publication date, and for each one a few related works are also mentioned or discussed. This collection provides a broad understanding of animal protection issues, and provides the necessary basis for an informed and comprehensive approach to improving the welfare of animals. Understanding Animal Welfares selected have been influential and they have the potential to improve animal welfare in the future.
- Experimentation on Animals: The priciples of Human Experimental Technique by W.M.S Russel and R.L. Burch, published 1959
- Intensive Farming Industry: Animal Machines - The New Factory Farming Industry by Ruth Harrison, published 1964
- Immortality of Man's Treatment of Animals:Animal Liberation - Towards an End to Man's Inhumanity to Animals by Peter Singer, published 1975
- History of Challenges to Speciesism: Animal Revolution - Changing Attitudes Towards Speciesism by Richard Ryder, published 1989
- Science of Animal Behaviour and Welfare: Animal Welfare - A Cool Eye Towards Eden by John Webster, published 1995
- Practical Ethics in Achievement of Direct Reform: Ethics into Action - Henry Spira and the Animal Rights Movement by Peter Singer, published 1998
- Politics of Animal Protection: Political Animals - Animal Protection Politics in Britain and the United States by Roger Garner, published 1998
- Legislative Enactment for Animal Protection, Animal Welfare Law in Britain - Regulation and Responsibility by Mike Radford, published 2001
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS is a national institution, not to say an international one, in the world of natural history!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985