568 pages, colour photos, colour & b/w illustrations
Danum Valley Conservation Area is a 438 square kilometres tract of relatively undisturbed lowland dipterocarp forest in Sabah, Malaysia. Through this superbly illustrated, multi-faceted and adventure-filled opus, Danum's mysterious rain forest is brought to life – from its simple strength as some of the last pristine landscapes still guarding the evolutionary secrets of nature, awesome mass flowering re-enacted through captivating aerial photography, to glimpses into a spectacular diversity of life forms, both animal and plant, and numerous scholarly insights into its environment and ecological networks. Solidly based on a quarter-century of research by a small army of eminent scientists, this highly readable book weaves together the findings of a considerable volume and variety of scientific journal papers, books, as well as PhD and MSc theses. In essence, the cream of the work of numerous scientists, explorers and conservationists now comes within easy reach of everyone lured by the tropical rain forest.
This spectacular book paves the way for all of us to greatly deepen our experience and enhance our understanding of this amazing and dynamic forest, and its interaction with its environment. There is no other Borneo forest that one can step into equipped with a single, multi-disciplinary account as broad, as deep, and as well-illustrated as this unique book.
- Danum Valley: The Background 1
- Danum's Climate 37
- Danum's Geology and Soils 65
- Danum's Hydrology and Soil Erosion 97
- Forests of the Danum Valley Conservation Area 141
- Dynamics of Danum's Lowland Forests 231
- Biodiversity Research at Danum 283
- Ecology of Danum's Vertebrate Communities: The Big Five 299
- Ecology of Danum's Smaller Vertebrates 321
- Effects of Selective Logging on Danum's Vertebrate Fauna 397
- Ecology of Invertebrate Communities in Primary and Logged Forest at Danum 419
- The Forests Surrounding the Danum Valley Conservation Area 481
- Achievements and the Future 489
Checklist of Animals 507
Checklist of Plants 527
About the Authors 592
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!