Transport, the Environment and Public Health: Classic Papers on Non-Motorised Travel brings together a collection of seminal articles published in the past twelve years focused around non-motorised transport (NMT). The editors have selected papers, drawn from the transportation, health and planning literature, which cover various dimensions of NMT, including prevalence and correlates, health benefits and risks, forecasting and evaluation methods, and policy interventions to increase NMT.
This inter-disciplinary volume, including an original introduction, will be of value and interest to academics/students and practitioners from a variety of contexts and backgrounds with an interest in NMT.
Contents: Acknowledgements Introduction Stephen P. Greaves and Jan Garrard
PART I PREVALENCE AND CORRELATES OF NON-MOTORISED TRANSPORT
1. Ann Forsyth, Kevin J. Krziek and Daniel A. Rodriguez (2009), 'Chapter 3. Non-motorised Travel Research and Contemporary Planning Initiatives'
2. John Pucher and Lewis Dijkstra (2003), 'Promoting Safe Walking and Cycling to Improve Public Health: Lessons from The Netherlands and Germany'
3. Brian E. Saelens and Susan L. Handy (2008), 'Built Environment Correlates of Walking: A Review'
4. Xinyu Cao, Susan L. Handy and Patricia L. Mokhtarian (2006), 'The Influences of the Built Environment and Residential Self-Selection on Pedestrian Behavior: Evidence from Austin, TX'
5. Eva Heinen, Bert van Wee and Kees Maat (2010), 'Commuting by Bicycle: An Overview of the Literature'
6. Benjamin Gardner and Charles Abraham (2008), 'Psychological Correlates of Car Use: A Meta-analysis'
7. Jenna Rachel Panter and Andy Jones (2010), 'Attitudes and the Environment as Determinants of Active Travel in Adults: What Do and Don't We Know?'
8. David Berrigan, Richard P. Troiano, Timothy McNeel, Charles DiSogra and Rachel Ballard-Barbash (2006), 'Active Transportation Increases Adherence to Activity Recommendations'
PART II HEALTH BENEFITS OF NON-MOTORISED TRANSPORT
9. Charles E. Matthews, Adriana L. Jurj, Xiao-ou Shu, Hong-Lan Li, Gong Yang, Qi Li, Yu-Tang Gao and Wei Zheng (2007), 'Influence of Exercise, Walking, Cycling, and Overall Nonexercise Physical Activity on Mortality in Chinese Women'
10. John Pucher, Ralph Buehler, David R. Bassett and Andrew L. Dannenberg (2010), 'Walking and Cycling to Health: A Comparative Analysis of City, State and International Data'
11. Mark Hamer and Yoichi Chida (2008), 'Active Commuting and Cardiovascular Risk: A Meta-analytic Review'
12. Paul Joseph Tranter (2010), 'Speed Kills: The Complex Links Between Transport, Lack of Time and Urban Health'
PART III HEALTH RISKS AND NON-MOTORISED TRANSPORT
13. Kristiann C. Heesch, Shannon Sahlqvist and Jan Garrard (2011), 'Cyclists' Experiences of Harassment from Motorists: Findings from a Survey of Cyclists in Queensland, Australia'
14. Rune Elvik (2009), 'The Non-linearity of Risk and the Promotion of Environmentally Sustainable Transport'
15. Rajiv Bhatia and Megan Wier (2011), '"Safety in Numbers" Re-examined: Can We Make Valid or Practical Inferences from Available Evidence?'
16. Diane C. Thompson, Fred P. Rivara and Robert Thompson (2009), 'Helmets for Preventing Head and Facial Injuries in Bicyclists (Review)'
17. S. Kaur, M.J. Nieuwenhuijsen and R.N. Colvile (2007), 'Fine Particulate Matter and Carbon Monoxide Exposure Concentrations in Urban Street Transport Microenvironments'
18. Luc Int Panis, Bas de Geus, Gregory Vandenbulcke, Hanny Willems, Bart Degraeuwe, Nico Bleux, Vinit Mishra, Isabelle Thomas and Romain Meeusen (2010), 'Exposure to Particulate Matter in Traffic: A Comparison of Cyclists and Car Passengers'
19. Jeroen Johan de Hartog, Hanna Boogaard, Hans Nijland and Gerard Hoek (2010), 'Do the Health Benefits of Cycling Outweigh the Risks?'
PART IV FORECASTING AND EVALUATION METHODS FOR NON-MOTORISED TRANSPORT
20. Christopher Porter, John Suhrbier and William L. Schwartz (1999), 'Forecasting Bicycle and Pedestrian Travel: State of the Practice and Research Needs'
21. J.D. Hunt and J.E. Abraham (2006), 'Influences on Bicycle Use'
22. Nebiyou Y. Tilahun, David M. Levinson and Kevin J. Krizek (2007), 'Trails, Lanes, or Traffic: Valuing Bicycle Facilities with an Adaptive Stated Preference Survey'
23. John Parkin, Mark Wardman and Matthew Page (2008) 'Estimation of the Determinants of Bicycle Mode Share for the Journey to Work using Census Data'
24. Todd Alexander Litman (2003), 'Economic Value of Walkability'
25. Sonja Kahlmeier, Francesca Racioppi, Nick Cavill, Harry Rutter and Pekka Oja (2010), '"Health in all Policies" in Practice: Guidance and Tools to Quantifying the Health Effects of Cycling and Walking'
PART V POLICY INTERVENTIONS TO INCREASE NON-MOTORISED TRANSPORT
26. John Pucher, Jennifer Dill and Susan Handy (2010), 'Infrastructure, Programs and Policies to Increase Bicycling: An International Review'
27. Kevin J. Krizek and Eric W. Stonebraker (2010), 'Bicycling and Transit: A Marriage Unrealized'
28. Susan A. Shaheen, Stacey Guzman and Hua Zhang (2010), 'Bikesharing in Europe, the Americas, and Asia: Past, Present, and Future'
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!