Series: cSUR-UT Series: Library for Sustainable Urban Regeneration Volume: 9
440 pages, b/w illustrations
Systems of transportation long ago developed out of the profound human need to connect and communicate. Transport today is still the only means for the physical movement of goods and people. Alongside the evolution of transportation and communication technologies, the astounding phenomenon of urbanization has taken place. Cities have grown faster and larger, absorbing vast influxes of dwellers who seek convenient and comfortable lifestyles with the required fast, cheap, and safe systems of transport. Of the world's megacities, with populations of more than ten million, over half are in Asia. While enjoying large-scale economic power, Asian megacities also face serious challenges.
They suffer from too-rapid urbanization, with the resulting congestion, pollution, and destruction of traditional local cultures and industries. Written by experts from Asian academic institutes, this book addresses the urgent question of how to achieve sustainability in the still-growing cities of Asia. The chapters comprise the latest research and the application of promising measures, some already realized in Asia, that include urban transport system design and management, land-use control, city planning, and sustainability. Of vast import, this volume was written for students and researchers, planners and engineers, and all who are interested in sustainable urban environments.
List of Contributors
Part I The First Step: An Overview
1. Fundamental Asian Conditions: Geography, Climate, Thoughts, and Lifestyles
2. Growing Economies and Cities in Asia: From Comparative and Historical Viewpoints
3. Sustainability in Urban Transport: Multidimensional Meanings and States
PART II Best Practices from Asia with Wisdom: Keys to Success and Facing Limitations
4. Building Transport Systems for People
5. Managing Transport Supply and Demand: From Passengers to Freight
6. For Better Urban Form: From Macroscopic Control to Microscopic Development
7. Managing Transport with People
PART III Future of Urban Transport in Asia: Rising Asia Proposes to the World
8. Development and Management of Transport Systems
9. Travel Demand Management: in an Asian Context
10. Growth Management and Site-Development Strategies
11. Financial and Institutional Measures for Sustainable Urban Transport
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!