This book about the Mekong Delta presents a unique collection of state-of-the-art contributions by international experts from different scientific disciplines about the characteristics and pressing water-related challenges of the Mekong Delta in Vietnam. The Mekong Delta belongs to one of the areas, which are to expect the largest challenges concerning environmental change and climate change induced sea level rise.
The Delta acts as the "rice bowl" of Southeast Asia and is home to over 17 Million people, who need to cope with ecologic as well as socio-economic changes linked to the rapid economic development of the country. Annual floods, severe droughts, salt water intrusion, degrading water quality, tropical cyclones, hydrologic changes due to hydropower projects in the upstream of the Mekong, coastal erosion, and the loss of biodiversity are some of the problems in the region. Heterogeneous resource management responsibilities, and the fact that the Mekong – and thus also the Delta – is influenced by six countries aggravate the situation. Integrated water resources management and fostered cooperation and information exchange are pressing needs for the sustainable development of the Delta.
Part I Deltas under change
2. Climate and Environmental Change in River Deltas Globally: Expected Impacts, Resilience, and Adaptation
Part II Water and development in the Mekong Delta
3. Hydrology and Hydraulic Infrastructure Systems in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam
4. Socio-Economic Development in the Mekong Delta: Between the Prospects for Progress and the Realms of Reality
5. IWRM for the Mekong Basin
6. Water Governance under Renovation? Concepts and Practices of IWRM in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam
Part III Water resources and related risks
7. Groundwater Resources in the Mekong Delta: Availability, Utilization and Risks
8. Flood hydraulics and suspended sediment transport in the Plain of Reeds, Mekong Delta
9. Monsoon variability and the Mekong flood regime
10. Vulnerability, coping and adaptation to water related hazards in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta
Part IV Water and environment
11. Biodiversity of the Mekong Delta
12. Mangrove ecosystems in the Mekong Delta - Overcoming uncertainties in inventory mapping using satellite remote sensing data
13. Agriculture and water quality in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta
14. Aquaculture and agricultural production in the Mekong Delta and its effects on nutrient pollution of soil and water
Part V Water knowledge and information
15. Managing Knowledge for the Development of the Mekong Delta
16. A Water-Related Web-based Information System for the Sustainable Development of the Mekong Delta
17. The water-development nexus: importance of knowledge, information and cooperation in the Mekong Delta
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!