808 pages, b/w photos, b/w illustrations, tables
Insect Molecular Genetics, Third Edition, summarizes and synthesizes two rather disparate disciplines-entomology and molecular genetics. Insect Molecular Genetics provides an introduction to the techniques and literature of molecular genetics; defines terminology; and reviews concepts, principles, and applications of these powerful tools. The world of insect molecular genetics, once dominated by Drosophila, has become much more diverse, especially with the sequencing of multiple arthropod genomes (from spider mites to mosquitoes). This introduction includes discussion of honey bees, mosquitoes, flour beetles, silk moths, fruit flies, aphids, house flies, kissing bugs, cicadas, butterflies, tsetse flies and armyworms.
Insect Molecular Genetics serves as both a foundational text and a review of a rapidly growing literature. With fully revised and updated chapters, the third edition will be a valuable addition to the personal libraries of entomologists, geneticists, and molecular biologists.
"Hoy presents this third edition of her molecular entomology textbook, with updated material on genetic modification, sequencing, and symbiosis. The author notes that although the title refers to insects, other arthropods such as ticks and mites are increasingly contributing to related knowledge."
– Reference & Research Book News, October 2013
PART I: GENES AND GENOME ORGANIZATION IN EUKARYOTES
1. DNA, Gene Structure, and DNA Replication
2. Transcription, Translation, and Regulation of Eukaryotic DNA
3. Nuclear and Extranuclear DNA in Insects
4. Genetic Systems, Genome Evolution, and Genetic Control of Embryonic Development in Insects
PART II: MOLECULAR GENETIC TECHNIQUES
5. Some Basic Tools: How to Cut, Paste, Copy, Measure, Visualize, and Clone DNA
6. Some Additional Tools For the Molecular Biologist
7. DNA Sequencing and the Evolution of the "-Omics"
8. DNA Amplification by the Polymerase Chain Reaction: Molecular Biology Made Accessible
9. Transposable-Element Vectors and Other Methods To Genetically Modify Drosophila and Other Insects
PART III: APPLICATIONS IN ENTOMOLOGY
10. Sex Determination in Insects
11. Molecular Genetics of Insect Behavior
12. Molecular Systematics and Evolution of Arthropods
13. Insect Population Ecology and Molecular Genetics
14. Genetic Modification of Pest and Beneficial Insects for Pest Management Programs
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!