250 pages, 30 illustrations
Mountain regions encompass nearly 24 percent of the total land surface of the earth and are home to approximately 12 percent of the world's population. Their ecosystems play a critical role in sustaining human life both in the highlands and the lowlands.
During recent years, resource use in high mountain areas has changed mainly in response to the globalization of the economy and increased world population. As a result, mountain regions are undergoing rapid environmental change, exploitation, and depletion of natural resources leading to ecological imbalances and economic unsustainability. Moreover, the changing climatic conditions have stressed mountain ecosystems through higher mean annual temperatures and the melting of glaciers and snow. Altered precipitation patterns have also had an impact.
Impact of Global Changes on Mountains addresses these critical issues and looks at ways to stop the downward spiral of resource degradation, rural poverty, and food and livelihood insecurity in mountain regions. Impact of Global Changes on Mountains also discusses new and comprehensive approaches to mountain development that are needed to identify sustainable resource development practices, how to strengthen local institutions and knowledge systems, and how to increase the resilience between mountain environments and their inhabitants.
- Prelude: Mountains in an Uncertain World; Jack D. Ives
- Introduction and Road Map for Impact of Global Changes on High-Mountains; Velma I Grover
DRIVERS FOR CHANGE and IMPACT OF GLOBAL CHANGES ON MOUNTAINS
- Impacts and Risks of Global Change; Axel Borsdorf, Johann Stötter, Georg Grabherr, Oliver Bender, Carla Marchant and Rafael Sánchez
ADAPTATION AND MITIGATION: STRATEGIES AND MODELS
- Global Change and Mountains: Consequences, Responses and Opportunities; Prakash C. Tiwari and Dr. Bhagwati Joshi
- Adaptation to Climate Change in Mountain Regions: Global Significance of Marginal Places; Matthias Monreal and Johann Stötter
- Adaptation Frameworks for Climate Change – Eloquent to Himalayan Ecosystems; PK Joshi, Kamna Sachdeva and AK Joshi
GOVERNANCE AND LEGAL ISSUES IN MOUNTAINS
- Governance and Laws of Mountains; Flavia Witkowski Frangetto
- Global Change and Sustainable Mountain Tourism: The Case of Mount Kenya; Irandu Evaristus M
- Managing Ecosystem Services for Enhancing Climate Change Adaptation in the Hindu Kush Himalayas; Nakul Chettri, Golam Rasul and Eklabya Sharma
- Future Sustainability Challenges in Hindu Kush-Himalaya: Adaptation Challenges to Global Changes in Hindu Kush-Himalaya; Janak Pathak
- Climate Change and its Impacts on Community Food and Livelihood in Kumaun Himalaya: A Case Study of Dabka Catchment; Pradeep K Rawat and Prakash C Tiwari
- Land Use/Cover Changes in the Kewer Gadhera Sub-Watershed, Central Himalaya; Vishwambhar Prasad Sati
- Hindu Kush, Karakorum, Himalaya and Tibetan Plateau Glaciers: Tipping Point; Iqbal Syed Hasnain
- Glacier Lake Outburst Floods (GLOFs) – Mapping the Hazard of a Threat to High Asia and Beyond; Manfred F. Buchroithner and Tobias Bolch
- Impact of Socioeconomic Factors and Environmental Changes on Sri Lanka’s Central Highlands; Jürgen Breuste and Lalitha Dissanayake
- High Tatra – The Challenges of Natural Disaster Recovery and Complex Changes; Maros Finka and Tatiana Kluvankova
- Local Responses to Global Change: Community Alternatives for "good living" in Latin America; David Barkin
- Projected Climate Change and Variability and Their Impact on the Canadian Rocky Mountains; Kaz Higuchi and Fiona Joncas
- Environmental and Socio-Economic Changes in the Rural Andes: Human Resilience and Adaptation Strategies; Christoph Stadel
- Climate Change and the Rocky Mountains; James M. Byrne, Daniel Fagre, Ryan MacDonald and Clint C. Muhlfeld
- Climate Change Impacts on the North Western Andean (NOA) and Western (Cuyo) Andean Regions of Argentina; H.D Ginzo and A. Faggi
- Impact of Global Changes on Mountains: Case Study of Brazil; Sérgio Murari Ludemann
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!