182 pages, colour illustrations
Maharashtra is a Universe unto itself. Appropriately named (Maha – Great, Rashtra – Nation) its territory extends across just under 308 000 sq.km. and encompasses some of India's most diverse and beautiful ecosystems. It is this exquisite legacy that Wild Maharashtra celebrates.
Sanctuary Asia believes that this natural capital could attract millions of sensitive tourists from around the world in the years ahead. As they gaze in awe and delight at the extraordinary wonders this land has to offer the traditional hospitality for which Maharastra is justifiably famous, could be key to delivering unique experiences that help usher in an economic and social renewal.
Maharashtra's inventory of assets includes the Konkan's marine biomes, the water towers and ever green forests of the Sahyadri ranges in the Western Ghats, the grasslands of the Deccan Plateau, Vidarbha's tiger-stocked Satpuda range and Marathwada's semi-arid biotope that has gained popularity as the home of the Great Indian Bustard. For centuries, this land was fiercely defended by the likes of Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj who went on to establish the Hindavi Swarajya that withstood the might of the Mughals for over 150 years.
Since Independence, Maharashtra has taken justifiable pride in being India's economic powerhouse. But today, formidable challenges, primarily climate change, threaten our water, food, economic and social security. Restoring the natural ecosystems would help to mitigate such threats, but this will require statesmanship, and an understanding of the umbilical connection between biodiversity protection, climate change and the quality of human life.
1. Wild Maharashtra: A personal journey
2. Maharashtra: the great Kingdom
3. Seasons in the Sahyadri: in appreciation of the Western Ghats
4. Kalsubai-Harishchandragad-Malshej Ghat: Trekking in the roof of the Sahyadri
5. The Sahyadri tiger reserve : life under the tiger's umbrella
6. The Sanjay Gandhi National Park: more than a forest...a miracle
7. The Tansa wildlife sanctuary: Mumbai's water bank
8. The Bhimashankar wildlife sanctuary : Squirrels in Shiva's forest
9. Mahabaleshwar: queen of bill stations
10. Radhanagari and Dajipur: land of the Indian bison
11. Amboli: hidden herb haven
12. Matcheran magic: a cloud forest
13. The Kaas plateau: Maharashtra's floral paradise
14. The Karnala fort and bird sanctuary: pocket-sized wilderness
15. The Phansad wildlife sanctuary: biodiversity in Mumbai's backyard
16. The Tadoba-Andhari tiger reserve: Maharashtra's pride
17. Tadoba's Pandharpauni tigers: family fortunes
18. Nagzira wildlife sanctuary: more space for tigers
19. The Pench tiger reserve: Maharashtra's reclaimed tiger haven
20. The Melghat tiger reserve: where the bills meet
21. The lonar crater: ethereal beauty, fragile heritage
22. The great Indian bustard sanctuary: grassroot conservation in Nannaj
23. Deulgaon-Rehekuri: protecting a scrub-grassland
24. Coastal Maharashtra: magical marine haven
25. The Sewri Mudflats: flamingo fortress
26. Maharashtra's Wetland wealth: climate insurance
27. Nandur-Madhmeshwar: Maharashtra's bird paradise
28. Maharashtra's lesser known wildernesses: quiet biodiversity escapes
29. The flying jewels of Maharashtra: where to spot butterflies
30. The way forward: Maharashtra's conservation saga
31. Tomorrow's world: protecting wild Maharashtra
32. Flora and fauna checklists
33. Useful information
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!