This insightful book deals with the complexity of linking biodiversity with climate change. It combines perspectives from international, national and local case studies, and also addresses the central question using a thematic approach. Biodiversity and Climate Change focuses on a number of key topics and examples, including: ecosystem services, human rights, MEA clustering, equity in ABS and REDD, forestation and deforestation, biosecurity, protected areas, mountain biodiversity, the Amazon rainforest, agricultural policy in the EU and patent licensing. Clearly demonstrating linkages between biodiversity law and climate change law and stimulating new ideas for future research, Biodiversity and Climate Change will be a valuable reference tool for academics, researchers, students and policy-makers.
"The diverse contributors to this substantial volume vividly illuminate the complex relationships between biodiversity and climate change, and explore potential solutions through environmental law in local, national and transnational settings. This book makes an important academic contribution towards linking legal solutions to global warming with biodiversity conservation, and it should appeal especially to scholars concerned about these issues in developing countries."
– Benjamin J. Richardson, University of British Columbia, Canada
"Today, climate change is already highly impacting on biodiversity. This adds to existing stress on biodiversity. Current extinction rates are unprecedented in history. This book addresses the many legal issues involved from a variety of perspectives by a range of esteemed authors from around the world. It does so in a positive way; aimed at finding solutions. This book greatly contributes to really addressing biodiversity loss by proposing new and innovative approaches."
– Jonathan Verschuuren, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
PART I: NATIONAL AND LOCAL EXPERIENCES
1. Bureaucratic Rhetoric of Climate Change in Nigeria: International Aspiration versus Local Realities Rhuks Ako and Oluba Oluduro
2. Combating Climate Change and Biodiversity Loss in a 'Hot Spot' Mega-diversity Country Gloria Ramos Estenzo
3. Does the Concept of Ecosystem Services Promote Synergies between European Strategies for Climate Change and Biodiversity? Nathalie Herve-Fournereau and Alexandra Langlais
4. Impacts of Climate Change, Biodiversity Loss and Population on Sustainable Development in Ethiopia Mekete Bekele Tekle
5. Climate Change, Human Rights and the Darfur Crises Linda Mbone Ndongo
PART II: INTERNATIONAL AND TRNSBOUNDARY APPROACHES
6. The Clustering of Multilateral Environmental Agreements: Can the Clustering of the Chemicals-related Conventions be Applied to the Biodiversity and Climate Change Conventions? Nils Goeteyn and Frank Maes
7. Retreading Negotiations on Equity in Environmental Governance: Case Studies Contrasting the Evolution of ABS and REDD+ Claudia Ituarte-Lima and Suneetha M. Subramanian
8. Climate Change, Biodiversity and Human Rights: Can Synergy Help? Svitlana Kravchenko
9. Reducing Emissions in the Forest Sector under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change: A New Opportunity for Biodiversity Conservation? Annalisa Savaresi
10. Transboundary Conservation of Mountain Biodiversity in a Climate Change Impacted World. Governance Perspectives from Central Asia and the Island of Borneo Michelle Lim
PART III: LAND-USE AND AGRICULTURE
11. Climate Change, the EU Floods Directive and Biodiversity Protection: Lessons from the Scheldt on Land Use Planning as an Adaptive Measure Katrien Debeuckelaere and Gretta Goldenmann
12. Climate Change and Biodiversity: The Vulnerability of the Amazon Rainforest in Face of the Increasing Ethanol Demand Heline Sivini Ferreira, Maria Leonor Paes Cavalcanti Ferreira and Patryck de Araujo Ayala
13. The Contribution of the EU Common Agricultural Policy to Protecting Biodiversity and Global Climate in Europe Eckard Rehbinder
PART IV: SOLUTIONS FROM SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
14. Creating Marine Protected Area Networks in Pacific North America for Biodiversity Conservation: Linking Ecology to Legislation Vernon G. Thomas
15. Preventing and Mitigating the Impacts of Climate Change and Biodiversity Loss through Bio Security Opi Outhwaite
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!