Nonlinear Coherent Structures in Physics and Biology contains the Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Research Workshop (ARW) and Emil-Warburg-Symposium (EWS) Nonlinear Coherent Structures in Physics and Biology held at the University of Bayreuth from June 1 -4, 1993. Director of the ARW was K. H. Spatschek, while F.G. Mertens acted as the co-director, host, and organizer of the EWS. The other members of the scientific organizing committee were A.R. Bishop (Los Alamos), J.C. Eilbeck (Edinburgh), and M. Remoissenet (Dijon).
This was the eighth meeting in a series of interdisciplinary workshops founded by our French colleagues who had organized all the previous workshops, e.g. 1989 in Montpel- lier and 1991 in Dijon. We were asked to organize the meeting this time in Germany. Of course, we wanted to keep the character defined by the previous meetings, which were always characterized by an open and friendly atmosphere, being not too large in quantity, but high in quality. This time altogether 103 participants attended the workshop. During the past years most of the participants met several times and discussed problems connected with the generation of nonlinear coherent structures in physics and biology.
- Solitons on Lattices, Localized Modes, and Biophysical Applications: Quantum Lattices; J.C. Eilbeck, A.C. Scott
- Josephson Junctions and Electrical Transmission Lines: Soliton Density Waves in Josephson Junctions; A.V. Ustinov, et al.
- Lowdimensional Magnetic and Electronic Systems: Nonlinear Excitations in Haldane Spin Chains; J.P. Boucher
- Basic Concepts in Soliton Theory: Compactons in Discrete Lattices; Y.S. Kivshar
- Nonlinear Dynamics of Perturbed Soliton Systems: Global Attractors and Basic Turbulence; B. Birnir.
- Instabilities, Bifurcations, and Pattern Formation: Nonlinear Evolution of the Skewed Varicose Instability in Thermal Convection; M.A. Zaks, F.H. Busse
66 additional articles
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!