262 pages, colour & b/w illustrations, colour & b/w maps
Glaciers and snow cover of the Himalayas are the major source of water in Central Asia. Natural calamities and geohydrological hazards occur in this area due to the rapid uplift of the Himalayas and the under-thrusting of the Indian Plate and other extreme climatic disturbances.
Climate Change and Himalaya: Natural Hazards and Mountain Resources presents the resources of the Himalayas along with the potential natural hazards. It consists of 22 chapters from researchers working in different institutions in a multi-disciplinary approach. More than seven hundred glaciers were monitored and discussed in one of the chapter of this book. Recently, Indian Himalayan Region was rocked by a chain of calamities occurred due to cloudburst, excessive rain fall followed by flash floods and landslides during June 2013. This is one of the initial scientific attempts to understand the above natural calamity. Urbanisation of mountain and sustainable utilisation of mountain resources are discussed in this book. Climate Change and Himalaya: Natural Hazards and Mountain Resources will be highly useful to researchers, policy makers, students and is an essential document to libraries of universities, colleges, research institutions and personnel collections.
1. Spatial distribution of glacier mass balance using remote sensing data in the Himalayan Region/S. K. Singh, I. M. Bahuguna, B. P. Rathore and Ajai
2. Does the Himalayan glacier study mean for climate change/Manohar Arora, Rakesh Kumar, Naresh Kumar and Jatin Malhotra
3. Estimating glacier changes in the Ravi basin (1972-2006) through remote sensing techniques/Shruti Dutta, A. L. Ramanathan and Anurag Linda
4. Dissolved ion chemistry of Bara Shigri glacier meltwater, western Himalaya, India/Virendra Bahadur Singh, A. L. Ramanathan, Jose George Pottakkal, Naveen Kumar and Parmanand Sharma
5. A statistical analysis to study the effect of solar activity on Gangotri Glacier/Madhavi Jain, Vasant G. Havanagi and Pankaj Gupta.
6. Tilting of the vegetation in the ablation zone may be potential indicators of climatic and glacial deviation: A case study/M. P. S. Bisht, V. Rana, Suman Singh and C. S. Rana
7. Climate change and attendant landslide hazards in the Northwest Himalayas/V. K. Sharma
8. Landslides and cloudburst in Indian Himalayan Region (IHR) during June 2013 – Historical perspectives and remedial measures/Pankaj Gupta and J. Sundaresan
9. Climatic change and increasing geo-hydrological hazards/Kishor Kumar, Anil Kathait, Nitesh Goyal, Indervir S Negi and S. Gangopadhya
10. Landslides and its impact on society – A case study of Narayanbagar landslide/Pankaj Gupta, Neelam J. Gupta and J. Sundaresan
11. Developmental study of two species of a homosporous climbing fern, Lygodium/Ruchi Srivastav and P. L. Uniyal.
12. Non-food oilseed plant as an alternative resource for biofuel production/S.P. Saikia, S. Mapelli, P. Pecchia, K. D. Mudoi:and A. Gogoi
13. Climate change and hill agriculture – A study of Uttarakhand State of Indian Himalaya/M. C. Sati and Prashant Kumar
14. Analysis of long term climate variability and changes in North-Western states of Indian Himalayan Region (IHR)/Rajesh Joshi and Kireet Kumar
15. Arya’s C cycles and climate change natural/Ritesh Arya
16. Climate change and appropriate actions worldwide/Kiran Yadav
17. Climate variability and urbanization – impacts, risk and solutions for Narmada river basin/Divya Sharma
18. Ca. 5 000 years record of climate from a sub-tropical lake in Garhwal Himalaya: A clay mineral approach/L. M. Joshi, B. S. Kotlia and O. S. Chauhan
19. Phenotypic plasticity leading to sympatric speciation in populations of Ephedra in Lahaul and Spiti (India) – Prabha Sharma, P. L.Uniyaland Øyvind Hammer
20. Evolving climate resilient livelihoods through integration of climate change adaptation and disaster risk mitigation/Indrani Phukan and Shazneen C Gazdar
21. Probabilistic assessment of earthquake recurrence in Northeast India: an appraisal from inverse Gaussian distribution/Sumanta Pasari, Divyesh M. Varade and Onkar Dikshit
22. Pattern of rainfall distribution and trend in Srinagar and Banihal stations of Jammu and Kashmir/S. Sreekesh
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!