431 pages, 7 colour & 11 b/w illustrations
Schools are unique places. They pay a central role in the formation of young people. The importance of how young people are educated and how they are encouraged to live and learn cannot be underestimated. Schools for Health and Sustainability advocates for the fostering of agency not only amongst school personnel but also amongst younger generations for health and sustainability. It provides the reader with a new lens with which to discover health promoting schools and education for sustainable development. It invites the reader to look more deeply into both and to accompany the authors on a journey of discovery of the real potential for each to enhance the practice of schooling.
Part 1 - Health Promoting Schools and Education for Sustainable Development
1. Schools for Health and Sustainability: Insights from the Past, Present and for the Future, Patricia Mannix-McNamara and Venka Simovska
2. Health Promotion and Sustainable Development in Schools: Historical Perspective, Ian Young
3. Key Competencies: Reconciling Means and Ends in Education for Sustainable Consumption, Daniel Fischer and Matthias Barth
4. Under One Umbrella: Professional Norms Promoting Education for Sustainable Development at the School Level, Ulf Leo and Per Wickenberg
5. Linking Health Education and Sustainability Education in Schools: Local Transformations of International Policy, Katrine Dahl Madsen, Lone Lindegaard Nordin and Venka Simovska (contact - Venka Simovska
Part 2 - Partnerships, Standards and Change
6. Health Promotion in Dutch Secondary Schools: Promising Collaboration between School and Public Health Services, Nicole Boot, Maria Jansen, Mariken Leurs and Nanne de Vries
7. Becoming a Health Promoting School: Using a 'Change Agent' to Influence School Structure, Ethos and Ensure Sustainability, Elizabeth Senior, Andrew Joyce and Dimitri Batras
8. Drama-based Learning for Teachers' Education in Health Promotion, Athina Karavoltsou
9. Professional Competencies within School Health Promotion - between Standards and Professional Judgment, Monica Carlsson
10. Health Education in the Context of Performance Driven Education: Challenges and Opportunities, Sharon Moynihan, Jennifer Hennessy and Patricia Mannix-McNamara
Part 3 - Examining Implementation
11. Implementation Strategies to Promote and Sustain Health and Learning in School, Oddrun Samdal and Louise Rowling
12. Healthy Principals - Healthy Schools: A Neglected Perspective to School Health Promotion, Kevin Dadaczynski and Peter Paulus
13. Three Approaches to School Health Education as a Means to Higher Levels of Health Literacy, Leena Paakkari
14. Promoting Health Education in a Context of Strong Social and Cultural Heterogeneity: the Case of Reunion Island, Maryvette Balcou-Debussche and Crane Roger
15. Implementing Mental Health Promoting Schools, Aleisha Clarke and Margaret Barry
Part 4 - The Challenges of Evaluation and Evidence
16. Health-Promoting Teaching Strategies in Schools - a Review of the Literature and Recommendations for Teacher Education, Edith Flashberger and Lisa Gugglberger
17. Evaluation Research in Health Promoting Schools and Related Challenges, Hege E. Tjomsland, Bente Wold, Rune J. Krumsvik and Oddrun Samdal
18. Mixed Methods' Contribution to the Evaluation of Health Promotion Initiatives in the School Setting, Marie-Renee Guevel, Jeanine Pommier, and Didier Jourdan
19. Developing and Testing a Health Promotion Theory-An Example of Creating a Model of School Staff's Occupational Well-Being, Terhi Saaranen, Kerttu Tossavainen, Marjorita Sormunen, Sari Laine, and Hannele Turunen
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Venka Simovska, PhD, Professor and Director of the Research Programme on Learning for Care, Sustainability and Health at the Department of Education, Aarhus University, Denmark. Professor Simovska also leads the newly established Research Centre on Schools for Health and Sustainability at the Department. She is chair of two international research networks: Schools for Health in Europe (SHE) Research Group and Health Education Research (network within the European Association of Educational research (EERA). Simovska has authored and co-authored a number of books, book chapters and Journal articles within the field. Most recently, she has guest edited two special issues of Health Education focusing on Processes and Outcomes of Health Promoting Schools.
Patricia Mannix-McNamara, PhD, Senior Lecturer in Education in the Faculty of Education and Health Sciences at the University of Limerick, Ireland. She is Co-Director of the Research Centre for Education and Professional Practice (RCEPP). Patricia has expertise in both health and education and has authored and co-authored books, book chapters and journal papers spanning both fields. She has been a national evaluator for ENHPS since 1999 and is a core group member of the Schools for Health in Europe (SHE) Research Group.