208 pages, black & white tables
For programmers and database administrators who use SQL in their day-to-day work, this popular pocket guide is the ideal on-the-job reference. It uses numerous examples to address the language's complexity, and covers key aspects of SQL used in Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, MySQL, and PostgreSQL. That includes the syntax for querying, managing transactions, and making changes to data, as well as SQL functions, type conversion functions and formats, and regular expression syntax.
The third edition covers important database changes, including:
* Oracle's support of the recursive WITH syntax, and addition of PIVOT and UNPIVOT operators
* Functions new to Oracle, such as LISTAGG, NTH_VALUE, and more
* PostgreSQL's support of recursive WITH and some window functions
* DB2 syntax and datatypes, some for compatibility with Oracle
* MySQL features such as the TIMESTAMP type and the TO_SECONDS function
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Jonathan Gennick is an O'Reilly Media, Inc. editor specializing in database and programming titles. Prior to joining O'Reilly, Jonathan amassed some 17 years of programming and database management experience. During the latter part of his career he specialized in relational database programming, and more recently in database management. Jonathan got his start with relational database systems in 1990, first working with Ingres, and later with Digital's Rdb software. During that period he developed a fondness for SQL, and for the challenge of applying SQL creatively in ways that leveraged it's set-oriented capabilities. In 1994 Jonathan made the leap to Oracle, and is now often found writing about it.