464 pages, 137 b/w illustrations, 11 tables
Neurobiological Effects of Sex Steroid Hormones describes the neurobiological basis for the understanding of how sex steroid hormones, oestrogen and testosterone, interact with parts of the brain. The contributors have all made significant advances in the understanding of how these steroids regulate neural function, and how this activity is translated into reproductive behaviours necessary for the propagation of the species. Neurobiological Effects of Sex Steroid Hormones covers a broad range of topics, extending from the molecular and cellular processes, through the action of steroids on neurotransmission, all the way to defining the brain circuitry involved in both male and female behaviour. Neurobiological Effects of Sex Steroid Hormones presents a snapshot of the rapidly advancing field of reproductive neuroendocrinology by the investigators who are most intimately involved with the discoveries.
"[...] a wealth of recent information [...] an extremely valuable source of material for anyone needing an expert and readily accessible account of the latest developments in one or more particular aspects of the field."
- J. B. Wakerley, Experimental Physiology
"[...] stands out from the usual collection of scientific papers."
- Bonny Pilo, Journal of Animal Morphology and Physiology
"In this timely book, Micevych and Hammer have assembled an impressive collection of work [...] I found the vast range of new materials marshalled in the book fascinating and intellectually challenging."
- Mei-Fang Cheng, Animal Behaviour
Part I. Sex Steroid Responsive Circuits Regulating Male and Female Reproductive Behaviours
1. Hormonal influence on neurons of the mating behaviour pathway in male hamsters
2. Neural circuitry for the hormonal control of male sex behaviour
3. Oestrogen receptor mRNA: neuroanatomical distribution and regulation in three behaviorally relevant physiological models
4. Hormonal regulation of limbic and hypothalamic pathways
Part II. Sex Steroid Interaction with Specific Neurochemical Circuits
5. Ovarian steroid interactions with hypothalamic oxytocin circuits involved in reproductive behaviour
6. Gonadal steroid regulation of hypothalamic opioid function
7. Neonatal and adult effects of gonadal steroids on the cholecystokinin circuit modulating reproductive behaviour
8. Cholinergic regulation of female sexual behaviour
9. Sex steroid regulation of tachykinin peptides in neuronal circuitry mediating reproductive functions
10. Dopaminergic influences on male rat sexual behaviour
11. Studying neurotransmitter systems to understand development and function of sex differences in the brain: the case of Vasopressin
Part III. Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms Regulated by Sex Steroids
12. Neurosteroids and neuroactive steroids
13. Oestrogen synthesis and secretion by the songbird
14. Neurobiological regulation of hormonal response by progestin and oestrogen receptors
15. Molecular actions of steroid hormones and their possible relations to reproductive behaviours
16. Effects of gonadal steroids on the central nervous system detected by the study of Fos protein expression
17. Developmental interactions of oestrogens with the neurotrophins and their receptors
18. Gonadal steroid influences on cell-cell interactions in the magnocellular hypothalamo-neurohypophysial system
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!