Series: Date Palm Genetic Resources and Utilization Volume: 1
450 pages, 122 colour & 16 b/w illustrations
This important 2-volume series is the first comprehensive resource reflecting the current global status and prospects of date palm cultivation by country. Date Palm Genetic Resources and Utilization, Volume 1 covers Africa and the Americas. Countries included are: Egypt, Algeria, Sudan, Tunisia, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Niger, Cameroon, Djibouti, Chad, Mali Somalia, Ethiopia, Burkina Faso and Senegal, as well as the United States of America and the South American countries Chile and Peru.
Topics discussed are: cultivation practices; genetic resources and breeding; conservation and germplasm banks; cultivar classification and identification based on morphological and molecular markers; micropropagation and progress toward scale-up production; and advances in dates processing and marketing. Chapters are supported by tables and color photographs. Appendixes summarize traits and distribution of major cultivars, commercial resources of offshoots and in vitro plants; and institutions and scientific societies concerned with date palm.
1. Introduction and Date Production Status and Prospects in Africa and the Americas - Dennis V. Johnson, Jameel M. Al-Khayri and S. Mohan Jain
2. Biodiversity, Genetic Diversity and Genetic Resources of Date Palm- Abdullah A. Jaradat
Part I Africa
3. Date Palm Status and Perspective in Egypt - Shawky A. Bekheet and Sherif F. El-Sharabasy
4. Date Palm Status and Perspective in Algeria - Nadia Bouguedoura, Malika Bennaceur, Souad Babahani and Salah Eddine Benziouche
5. Date Palm Status and Perspective in Sudan - Mohamed Khairi
6. Date Palm Status and Perspective in Tunisia - Hammadi Hamza, Monia Jemni, Mohamed Ali Benabderrahim, Mrabet Abdesselem, Sana Touil, Ahmed Othmani and Mohamed Ben Salah
7. Date Palm Status and Perspective in Libya - Massimo Battaglia, Bashir Ghsera, Marta Mancini, Carlo Bergesio, Alessandro Camussi and Milvia Luisa Racchi
8. Date Palm Status and Perspective in Morocco - Moulay Hassan Sedra
9. Date Palm Status and Perspective in Mauritania - Moulay Hassan Sedra
10. Date Palm Status and Perspective in Sub-Sahelian African Countries: Burkina Faso, Chad, Ethiopia, Mali, Senegal and Somalia - Mohamed Ben Salah
11. Date Palm Status and Perspective in Niger - Sahidou Abdoussalam and Dov Pasternak
12. Date Palm Status and Perspective in Cameroon - Sali Bourou, Noe Woin and Mohammed Aziz Elhoumaizi
13. Date Palm Status and Perspective in Djibouti - Abdourahman Daher, Nabil Mohamed and Frederique Aberlenc-Bertossi
Part II Americas
14. Date Palm Status and Perspective in United States of America - Robert R. Krueger
15. Date Palm Status and Perspective in South American Countries: Chile and Peru - Hugo A. Escobar and Rafael G. J. Valdivia Urra
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!