Research into the structure and function of fish has made phenomenal progress in the last two decades. Such has been the force of accumulation of new information that it has become difficult to keep abreast of the developments in the different disciplines of fish biology. My attempt to integrate some of these information on the structure and function of fish and to present them in a coherent account like this is, thus, not only customary but also a compelling and urgent need.
Advances in Fish Research, Volume 2 is a collection of 17 research papers and review articles on selected topics written by leading experts in the field of fish biology. The write-ups present on overview of the subject and reflect the current trends of fish research at the global level. Some of the research articles offer new interpretations while others bring out the need for a fresh look into the subject. Efforts have been made to gather information on a remarkably wide range of biological adaptations to diverse habitats and ways of life among fishes and to put them in a cladistic framework.
1. The adaptive morphology of gills of Oreochromis alcalicus grahami: a cichlid fish which inhabits the hyperosmotic, highly alkaline Kenyan lake Magadi/J.N. Maina
2. The structure, function and autonomic innervation of the fish heart/Santosh Kumar
3. The neuroepithelial cells of the fish gill filament/Suzanne Dunel-Erb
4. Fish epidermis/A.K. Mittal
5. Chemosensory orientation in Salmonoid fishes/Gunnar Bertmar
6. The pseudobranch: the structure and function in fresh water teleosts/P.K. Roy, T.K. Ghosh and J.S. Datta Munshi
7. The branchial basket in teleost feeding/Pierre Vandewalle and Michel Chardon
8. Growth of teleostean oocytes/G.P. Verma
9. Oxygen uptake in the early life of air breathing teleosts/B.R. Singh, M.S. Prasad, A.P. Mishra and Manju Sheel
10. Respiration in oxudercine mudskippers/David Clayton
11. Healing of skin lesions in fishes/T.K. Banerjee
12. Catfish pituitary gonadotrops and regulation of gonadotropin secretion/K.P. Joy
13. Biochemical aspects of pesticide action on fish/S.P. Shukla
14. Caryophyllaeidiasis in fish/S.M. Agarwal
15. Feeding spectrum in the rearing of fish larvae/B.B. Jana and Rina Chakrabarti
16. Hormonal control of oocyte maturation in fish/Shamim Haider
17. White cell skimming in microcirculation of the caudal fin in goldfish/G.M. Hughes and T. Koyama
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!