A reprint of a classical work in the Cambridge Library Collection.
This 1825 translation was published as part of a project to introduce the culture of silkworms into Britain and especially into Ireland, as Dandolo's original work was 'universally acknowledged to stand unrivalled, as at once combining theory with practice'. Vincenzo Dandolo (1758-1819), from a noble Venetian family, combined scientific and agricultural interests with a political outlook which led to his taking office under Napoleon, and retreating to a Lombardy estate after 1814. His interest in silkworms was part of a drive to improve the productivity and variety of farm produce; he also wrote on wool-bearing animals and viticulture. After an outline of the life-cycle and metamorphosis of caterpillars generally, Dandolo focuses on the silkworm. Its exclusive diet, and the specific techniques, buildings and equipment required to raise it commercially, are all discussed, as are the diseases to which it is prone, and the way to ensure a breeding stock.
1. Of caterpillars in general, amongst which is comprised the silk-worm
2. Of the silk-worm
3. Of the only food suitable to silk-worms
4. Of the preliminary care necessary for the hatching of the silk-worms
5. Of the small laboratory into which new-hatched silk-worms must be put
6. Of rearing silk-worms in the four first ages
7. Of rearing silk-worms, during the first period of the fifth age
8. Of rearing silk-worms in the last period of the fifth age
9. Of the sixth age of the silk-worm, or chrysalis
10. Of the seventh age of the silk-worm
11. Observations on the varieties of silk-worms
12. Of the diseases of silk-worms, in their different ages
13. Of the buildings and utensils necessary to the cultivation and rearing of silk-worms
14. General view of all the facts stated in this work
15. Of the advantages which the country, the proprietors, and cultivators, must derive from the improvement of the ordinary method of rearing silk-worms
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!