240 pages, 200+ colour photos, colour & b/w illustrations, colour distribution maps
The new edition of this popular field guide has been fully updated and revised, making it one of the most comprehensive guides to the mammals of the southern African sub-region. It can be bought as a book only, or a book plus Callfinder that allows playback of vocalisations from the pages of the field guide.
The Callfinder is a battery operated device that is easy to use. It doesn’t depend on internet or network coverage and has no complicated menus or operating instructions. Using a new printing technology, an invisible grid is printed over every photo. The eye of the Callfinder reads this grid and recalls the bird’s call from its internal memory card, allowing bird calls to be heard from the pages of a field guide.
The Callfinder comes with:
- standard 3,5mm earphone/speaker jack
- mini USB port
- power button
- volume control and mode selector
- Callfinder sensor
- 2GB memory card
- battery charger
Please note: if you have already purchased Sappi Birds of South Africa with the Callfinder you can download the sound track of Mammal Guide of Southern Africa directly onto the Callfinder from Briza Publication’s website.
The field guide features:
- Expanded number of smaller mammal species as well as eight of the more abundant sea mammals
- An easy-to-use key to identify the mammals
- A sketch indicating the size of the mammal in relation to a human profile
- Detailed species description, including information on the conservation status, food, sexual dimorphism, life expectancy, enemies, habitat, habits and breeding of 137 of the regionfs mammal species
- More than 200 excellent colour photographs illustrating sexual dimorphism and different subspecies where applicable
- For the first time the mammal "calls" can be heard from the pages of this field guide when using the Callfinder (an optional extra).
- Colour photographs and illustrations of field signs such as droppings and spoors.
- Updated distribution maps of all the species.
Mammal Guide of Southern Africa is a must for every tourist, hiker and nature lover to enjoy at home and when visiting Southern Africa's National Parks and game reserves.
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Burger Cillié grew up in a home where photography and a love for nature was high priority. Wildlife photography soon became his favourite hobby and led to him being a well-known nature photographer and author. Burger’s first book, The Mammal Guide of Southern Africa, published by Briza Publications became a bestseller and was subsequently also published in Afrikaans and German. He authored a pocket guide on mammals as well, is co-author of four photographic bird field guides and two park-specific guides of Southern Africa.