This protocol volume will be the first publication to comprehensively cover entire spectrum of molecular biology sample preparation techniques commonly used to extract and isolate nucleic acids, proteins and other molecules of interests, from plants, animals and environmental samples and similar difficult samples. Sample preparation is considered to be the first and most significant bottleneck in the molecular biology lab workflow, and it is very peculiar fact that while there is an estimated $3.6B market (Bcc Research Report # BIO089A, 2010) in sample preparation consumables and equipment for Genomics, Proteomics, and Epigenetics; and that approximately 180,000 people worldwide are performing sample preparation techniques in the lab daily, there is no single book dealing exclusively with this topic.
Sample Preparation Techniques for Soil, Plant, and Animal Samples presents an in depth literature review of current state-of-the-art knowledge in all aspects of molecular biology related sample preparations methods, techniques and applications, and provides a comprehensive collection of practical recipes and advice on the most efficient methods of processing the most common sample types in agriculture, plant science, soil science, environmental science, and animals research. Sample Preparation Techniques for Soil, Plant, and Animal Samples will be an essential tool for demystifying time consuming, and often the last remaining bottleneck process in molecular biology sample preparation and will be of special interest to all lab technicians bench scientists, graduate students, postdocs, as well as other senior scientists working with DNA, RNA and Proteins in such a diverse areas ranging from plant, soil, environmental science, animal research, as well as to more applied fields of quality control and law enforcement.
Foreword Ljubisav Rakic
1. Physical and Chemical Properties of Nucleic Acids Daphne Real
2. Sampling for Biostatistics Angela Conley and Jason Pfefferkorn
3. Sampling of Microbiological Samples Christina Stam, Alberto Behar, and Moogega Cooper
4. Techniques for Nucleic Acid Purifications from Plant, Animal, and Microbial Samples Jordan Ruggieri, Ryan Kemp, Stanislav Forman, and Marc E. Van Eden
5. Magnetic beads based nucleic acids purification for molecular biology applications Nives Kovacevic
6. Systems for Mechanical Sample Lysis and Homogenization for Molecular Biology Applications James A. Atwood III
7. Bead beating offers high performance homogenization for molecular biology downstream processing of tough and difficult samples Vanessa M. Yu
8. High Performance Bead Beating Based Lysing, Homogenization and Grinding for DNA, RNA and proteins extraction with FastPrep(R) Systems Miodrag Micic, Jeffrey D. Whyte, and Veronique Karsten
9. Portable Systems for Sample Lysis and Homogenization Horacio Kido
10. DNA and RNA extractions from mammalian samples Shuko Harada
11. Sample preparation for multiplex PCR assays for food and agriculture applications Rachel Binet and Aparna Tatavarthy
12. Nucleic acid sample preparation from stem cells Mirjana Pavlovic
13. Nucleic Acids Sample Preparation from Teeth/Dental Remains Denice Higgins and Jeremy J. Austin
14. Nucleic Acids Sample Preparation for Food Traceability Leonor Pereira, Sonia Gomes, and Paula Martins-Lopes
15. Nucleic Acids Sample Preparation for Quantitative and Qualitative GMO analysis Maher Chaouachi
16. Nucleic Acids Samples Preparation from Dairy Products and Milk Julie Ann Kase and Tina Lusk
17. Extraction of DNA from Plant Tissue: Review and Protocols Farshad Tamari and Craig S. Hinkley
18. DNA Extraction from Seeds Celio Dias Santos Junior, Natalia Melquie Monteiro Teles, Denis Prudencio Luiz, and Thais Ferreira Isabel
19. RNA extractions from difficult to prepare and high starch content seeds Preeya Puangsomlee Wangsomnuk, Benjawan Ruttwat, Wipavadee Rittitum, Pinich Wangsomnuk, Sanun Jogloy, and Aran Patanothai
20. Nucleic Acid and Protein Sample Preparation from Yeasts Zhaohua Tang and Gretchen Edwalds-Gilbert
21. Nucleic acids purification from soil and environmental sources Moogega Cooper and Christina Stam
22. Extraction and Purification of Viral Nucleic Acids from Environmental Samples Brandon C. Iker, Masaaki Kitajima, and Charles P. Gerba
23. Preparation of nucleic acids from marine samples: applications to microbial ecology research Karine Lemarchand, Thomas Pollet, Vincent Lessard, and M. Amine Badri
24. Nucleic Acid Sample Preparation from Feces and Manure Tim Reuter and Rahat Zaheer
25. Bead-beating sample preparation for nucleic acids isolation from fecal samples Jeffrey D. Whyte
26. Methods for extraction and purification of lignin and cellulose from plant tissues Ksenija Radotic and Miodrag Micic
27. Separation and purification of glycans out of glycoproteins Olga Gornik, Toma Keser and Gordan Lauc
28. Prion extraction methods: comparison of bead beating, ultrasonic disruption and repeated freeze-thaw methodologies for the recovery of functional Renilla-prion fusion protein from bacteria Robert M. Hnasko, Alice V. Lin, Larry H. Stanker, Kumar Bala, and Jeffery A. McGarvey
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Miodrag "Mickey" Mićić, Ph.D., Sc.D., M.T.M., CSWP, is a Department Chair and Instructor of engineering design technology at Cerritos College. He is also a Project Scientist at BioMEMS Lab, Dept of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of California-Irvine, and is a visiting Professor at the Faculty of Applied Ecology - Futura at Singidunum University, Belgrade, Serbia and he is a consultant to several well life sciences, medical devices and biotech companies. Prior to his current position at Cerritos College, Dr. Micic was for 10 years Vice-President, Research and Development at MP Biomedicals LLC (Formerly ICN Biomedicals Inc), Irvine, CA, and prior Senior Application Scientist at Veeco Metrology, Santa Barbara, CA. He was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Pacific Northwest National Laboratories, Richland, WA. Dr. Micic is the author of 67 publications in leading scientific journals, with over 1,300 citations. Dr. Micic holds a Ph.D. and M.S. in chemistry from University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL; an M.T.M. from Washington State University, WA; an Sc.D, and M.Sc. in physical chemistry, a B.Sc. /B.Ed. in physics and fundamentals of engineering from University of Belgrade, and a B.Eng. from the Polytechnical Academy of New Belgrade, Serbia. He is also an instrument rated private pilot and a PADI master scuba diver.