256 pages, b/w illustrations
Poo! Most of us don't really like to talk about it. In fact, many of us would probably rather it didn't exist at all, or at least if it must exist could it not be more pleasantly fragranced? In The Life of Poo, Adam Hart explores this most unmentionable of subjects and the hidden world of bacteria – a microscopic horde that has profound, unexpected, sometimes unpleasant, but often beneficial effects on our health, wealth and well-being – taking the reader on a humorous, inspiring and myth-busting journey from the poo in your toilet to the cutting-edge of scientific understanding. Whether you are brushing your teeth, having sex, suffering from an irritable bowel, battling with Crohn's disease, worrying about too little or too much hygiene, coping with asthma, cleaning your bathroom, following the 2-second rule, debating the 5-second rule, guzzling probiotics or just sitting on the toilet, The Life of Poo is for you.
1. Are You Sitting Comfortably? 7
2 'Kills 99% of Known Germs' 26
3. If You Can't Stand the Heat... 51
4. Why You Should Think Twice about Shaking Hands (Especially with Men) 74
5. Resistance Is not Useless 93
6. The World Within 116
7. Back to Immunity School 138
8. It's not my Diet, Doctor, it's my Bacteria 160
9. Why it's Good to Stay in Touch with 'Old Friends' 175
10. Are You Really Going to Eat That? 194
11. The Captain's Log: Final Thoughts... 213
Notes and references 217
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Adam Hart is a biologist and broadcaster with a wide range of scientific interests who currently teaches at the University of Gloucestershire. He regularly presents and writes for BBC Radio 4 and has also presented scientific TV programmes on BBC4 and BBC2.