216 pages, colour photos, colour maps
Language: English with multilingual nomenclature
Nepal is a very small country but it has more than 865 species of birds. This book is an excellent photographic guide to the birds of Chitwan and other national parks, wildlife reserves and conservation areas of lowland Nepal. This book is useful for novices, amateurs, specialists and interested birdwatchers from all over the world. The text is simple and easy to read. It covers general identification, habitat, calls, behavior, food, status and distribution.
A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Chitwan (Nepal) has tried to include the maximum variety of names in English and Latin. It also includes bird names in Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Japanese and local vernacular. It covers 13 orders, 51 families and subfamilies and 284 species of birds including 16 globally threatened species. It covers more than half of the birds of Chitwan. This is a very good companion for every visitor and for general readers.
1. Meaning of chitwan
2. Geographical location
3. Area and size
4. Historical development and hunting practices
5. Establishment of chitwan national park
7. Vegetation and important bird watching areas.
Section on Birds of Chitwan:
1. Order: Galliformes: Family: i. Phasianidae-pheasants and allies
2. Order: Anseriformes: Family: i. Dendrocygnidae-whistling ducks. ii. Anatidae-ducks and geese
3. Order Piciformes: Family: i. Picidae-woodpeckers. ii. Megalaimidae-barbets
4. Order: Bucerotiformes: Family: i. Bucerotidae hornbills
5. Order: Upupiformes: Family: i. Upuidae-hoopoes
6. Order Coraciiformes: Family: i. Coraciiddae-rollers. ii. Alcedinidae-Kingfishers. iii. Halcyonidae-Kingfishers. iv. Cerylidae-crested Kingfisher. v. Meropidae-bee-eaters
7. Order Cuculiformes: Family: i. Cuclidae-cuckoos. ii. Centropodidae-Coucal
8. Order: Psittaciformes: Family: i Psittacidae-Parakeets
9. Order Strigiformes: Family: i. Tytonidae-barn owls. ii. Strigidae-owls. iii. Caprimulgidae-nightjars
10. Order: Columbiformes: i. Columbidae-Pigeons and doves
11. Order: Gruiformes: Family: i. Gruidae-cranes. ii. Rallidae-Rails and crakes
12. Order: Ciconiiformes: Family: i. Scolopacidae-Sandpipers and allies. ii. Rostratulidae-Painted snipe. iii. Jacanidae-Jacanas. iv. Burhinidae-Thickknees. v. Charadriidae-Plovers and allies. vi. Glareolidae-Pratincoles. vii. Laridae-gulls and terns. viii. Accipitridae-Hawks and allies. ix. Falconidae-Falcons. x. Podicipedidae-Grebes. xi. Abhingidae darters. xii. Phalacrocoracidae-cormorants. xiii. Ardeidae-Herons and allies. xiv. Threskiornithidae-Ibis and allies. xv. Ciconiidae-storks
13. Order: Passeriformes: Family: i. Laniidae-Shrikes. ii. Corvidae-crows, drongos, orioles and allies. iii. Muscicapidae-Thrushes, flycatchers and chats. iv. Sturnidae-starlings and mynahs. v. Sittidae-nuthatches. vi. Paridae-tits. vii. Hirundinidae swallows and martins. viii. Pycnonotidae-Bulbuls. ix. Cisticolidae-Cisticolas and prinias. x. Zosteropidae-White-eyes. xi. Sylviidae-Warblers and babblers. xii. Alaudidae-larks. xiii. Nectariniidae-Sunbirds and flowerpeckers. xiv. Passeridae-Sparrows, pipits, accentors
munias and weavers. xv. Fringillidae-Finches and buntings
Checklist of birds of Chitwan national park
Index on scientific names
Index of common names
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!