228 pages, 24 b/w illustrations, 10 tables
Forests are under tremendous pressure from human uses of all kinds, and one of the most significant threats to their sustainability comes from commercial interests. Forests, Business and Sustainability presents a comprehensive examination of the interactions between the forest products sector and the sustainability of forests.
It captures the most current sustainability concerns within the forestry sector and various sustainability-oriented initiatives to address these. Experts from around the world analyze interconnected topics including market mechanisms, regulatory mechanisms, voluntary actions, and governance, and outline their effectiveness, potential, and limitations. By presenting a novel overview of the burgeoning field of business sustainability within the forestry sector, Forests, Business and Sustainability paves a way forward in understanding what is working, what is not working, and what could potentially work to ensure sustainable business practices within the forestry sector.
1. Many Paths to Sustainability, but Where Are We Going?
Rajat Panwar, Eric Hansen and Robert Kozak
2. The Spectrum of Forest Usage: From Livelihood Support to Large-scale Commercialization
Kathryn Fernholz and Jim Bowyer
3. The Regulatory and Policy Interventions for Achieving Sustainability
Constance L. McDermott
4. Achieving Sustainability through Market Mechanisms
Benjamin Cashore, Chris Elliott, Erica Pohnan, Michael Stone and Sébastien Jodoin
5. On Corporate Responsibility
Anne Toppinen, Katja Lähtinen and Jani Holopainen
6. Opportunities and Challenges in Community Forest Tenure Reform
Alexandre Corriveau-Bourque, Jenny Springer, Andy White and D. Bryson Ogden
7. Enabling Investment for Locally Controlled Forestry
Duncan Macqueen and Peter deMarsh
8. Decentralization and Community-based Approaches
Reem Hajjar and Augusta Molnar
9. Promises and Perils of Plantation Forestry
Jacki Schirmer, Romain Pirard and Peter Kanowski
10. The Emerging Bio-economy and the Forest Sector
Anders Roos and Matti Stendahl
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Rajat Panwar is Assistant Professor in the Departments of Forest Resources Management and Wood Science in the Faculty of Forestry at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. He is also Editor of the journal Bioproducts Business.
Robert Kozak is Professor and Head of the Department of Wood Science in the Faculty of Forestry at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
Eric Hansen is Professor of Forest Products Marketing in the Department of Wood Science and Engineering at the College of Forestry at Oregon State University, USA.