Biogeography is the study of the distribution of species and ecosystems in geographic space and through geological time. It is an integrative field of inquiry that unites concepts and information from ecology, evolutionary biology, and other biological sciences as well as geography and geology. Biogeography and Evolution in New Zealand provides the first in-depth treatment of the biogeography of New Zealand, a region that has been a place of long-enduring interest to ecologists, evolutionary scientists, geographers, geologists, and scientists in related disciplines.
"I believe this to be a significant, and comprehensive, account of the plants and animals of New Zealand. It is replete with distribution maps done in an original style. Heads's approach to biogeography is notable for its originality, and this manuscript is an especially good example. There is nothing like it. Forty years ago I wrote (and am quoted by Heads): 'With regard to general problems of biogeography, the biota of New Zealand has been, perhaps, the most important of any in the world. [...] all notable authorities have felt obliged to explain its history: explain New Zealand and the world falls into place around it.' And so it is with Heads' manuscript!"
– Gareth Nelson, School of BioSciences, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Analyzing the Spatial Component of Evolution
- Analyzing the Timeline of Evolution
- New Zealand Geology
- An introduction to the New Zealand Biota and its Geography
- Biogeography of the Northern New Zealand Offshore Islands
- Biogeography of the New Zealand Subantarctic Islands and the Chatham Islands
- Biogeography of Mainland New Zealand and Neogene Geology: the Alpine Fault, the Kaikoura Orogeny, and the Pleistocene Glaciation
- Case Studies of New Zealand Plants
- Some More Case Studies of New Zealand Plants
- Case Studies of New Zealand Animals
- Structural Evolution and Ecology
- Biogeography and Evolution in New Zealand Birds
- Biogeography and Evolution in New Zealand Bats
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
I have always been MOST impressed by the efficiency, courtesy, integrity and professionalism of NHBS!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985