This edition offers a compilation of contemporary protocols that include embryonic stem cell production and genetic manipulation, mouse chimeras, mouse cloning, assisted reproduction strategies (including intracytoplasmic sperm injection and in vitro fertilization), whole embryo culture systems, electroporation, embyro and gamete cryop-reservation and rederivation, and gene expression. There is extensive background information on the use of these techniques. The "gold standard" techniques from previous editions for applying recombinant DNA technology to studies of mammalian embryonic development are also updated and recase, as is the summary of mouse development at a molecular level. This book offers a useful source of technical and theoretical guidance for mouse developmental biologists and geneticists and newcomers to these fields.
"This manual will become rapidly a reference and find its place in most laboratories. It is usually difficult to reach broad consensus within the scientific field. However, I am sure that the current edition of this classical manual will delightfully and equally satisfy research scientists and specialized technicians within the field of mouse embriology and transgenesis. Undoubtedly, at present, this manual should be the first recommendation to any person willing to work with transgenic or knockout mice."
- Transgenic Research
"This manual is a welcome update, which grew out of teaching material for two practical courses in the Molecular Embryology of the Mouse held at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in 1983 and 1984. The previous editions of what is affectionately known as the Mouse Manual became and remain the definitive reference sources on this subject. The current authors have taken the mantle of authorship from Brigid Hogan, Rosa Beddington, Frank Costantini, and Elizabeth Lacy and have extensively reorganized and rewritten the new edition. It contains 267 more pages than the second edition, which is largely reflective of the significant advances that have occurred since 1994. This is not just a how-to manual for those who seek to manipulate the mouse embryo and genome, but a useful, concise reference on mouse laboratory strain origins, genetics, and embryology and their places in contemporary biology and medicine."
- The Quarterly Review of Biology
- Developmental genetics and embryology of the mouse - past, present and future
- summary of mouse development
- production of transgenic and chimeric mice - general issues
- recovery and in vitro culture of pre implantation-stage embryos
- surgical procedures
- production of transgenic mice
- isolation and culture of blastocyst-derived stem cells
- vector designs for embyronic stem cell-based transgenesis and genome alterations
- introduction of foreign DNA into embryonic stem cells
- production of chimeras
- detection and analysis of the mouse - genome alterations and specific sequences
- parthenogenesis, pronclear transfer, and mouse cloning
- assisted reproduction
- cryopreservation of mouse embryos and germplasm
- techniques for visualizing gene products, cells, tissues, and organ systems
- setting up a micromanipulation laboratory
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!