496 pages, illustrations
The sixth edition of this book offers a fully revised and updated review of the forest products industry. This important text covers the full spectrum of the subject, basing itself in a thorough understanding of the anatomical and physical nature of wood and providing a special emphasis on its use as an industrial raw material. Forest and biomass researchers are provided with comprehensive coverage of all aspects of wood science and industry, ranging from tree growth and wood anatomy to a variety of economically important wood products.
1. Tree Growth and Production of Woody Tissue 3
2. Macroscopic Character of Wood 23
3. Composition and Structure of Wood Cells 45
4. Softwood Structure 65
5. Hardwood Structure 79
6. Juvenile Wood, Reaction Wood, and Wood of Branches 107
7. Wood and Water 141
8. Density and Specific Gravity 175
9. Strength and Mechanics 197
10. Durability and Protection 229
11. Silvicultural Practices and Wood Quality 253
12. Lumber 289
13. Structural Composites 321
14. Nonstructural Composites 365
15. Pulp and Paper 397
16. Energy and Chemical Products 421
17. Global Raw Materials 443
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Rubin Shmulsky is Department Head and Professor in the Department of Forest Products at Mississippi State University.
P. David Jones is an Assistant Extension Professor in the Department of Forest Products at Mississippi State University.