Series: Freshwater Biological Association Scientific Publications Volume: 29
By: IR Smith
79 pages, 28 figs
This book looks briefly at the nature and biological importance of fluid motion before going into details of the statistical concepts of turbulence, types of motion, and the behaviour of small particles in turbulent flow.
* List of symbols
* Nature and biological importance of fluid motion
* Viscosity and turbulence
* Statistical concepts of turbulence: Velocity fluctuations - Reynolds stresses - Eddy viscosity - Scales of turbulence - The eddy spectrum - The mixing length - Effect of density gradients - Dimensionless numbers
* Types of motion in lakes and rivers: Introduction - Motion in the atmosphere - Motion in lakes and rivers
* Turbulent motion near solid boundaries: Velocity profiles near a solid boundary - Properties of the logarithmic velocity profile - Vertical variation in eddy viscosity - Drag and lift coefficients - Energy losses and resistance to motion in a river - Settling velocity of particles in water
* Free turbulence: - Waves on a lake surface - Surfaces of discontinuity - Motion in thermoclines - River flow into lakes
* Detailed discussion of diffusion: The nature of turbulent diffusion - The solution of diffusion equations - Experimental values of diffusion coefficient
* Behaviour of small particles in turbulent flow: Definition of particle characteristics - Resistance of particles to erosion - Behaviour of particles in suspension
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
I will not hesitate to use you again or recommend you to others.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985