This is a fully updated edition of the widely read textbook by Dr Ann T. Bowling, following the sequencing of the complete horse genome. This is the only text to provide broad coverage of all genetics topics, focussing on horses. It covers all significant recent advances including micro-satellite testing. It describes basic horse genetics including coat colour, parentage, medical and population genetics, cytogenetics, performance breeding systems, and genetic conservation. New and revised topics include the development of genomics, gene expression, the relationship of the genome to physiological function, blood groups, transfusion medicine and haemolytic disease of new-born foals. It examines in greater depth the diversity of breeds of horse in the world. It is suitable for veterinary surgeons, animal scientists, undergraduate and postgraduate students, equine scientists, horse owners, and breeders.
Review of the first edition:
"Horse breeders will find nothing like it. In its 200 pages, the book neatly presents and summarizes the current state of knowledge of horse genetics [...] Students and scientists will find this as valuable a resource as horse owners and breeders [...] If you have been waiting for a clear, concise, and authoritative discussion of horse genetics, here it is. Horse Genetics is an important addition to any equine library."
- Arabian Visions
1. Evolution and Domestication of Horses
2. Basic Genetics
3. Horse Genomics
4. Black, Bay and Chestnut (Extension and Agouti)
5. Color Diluting Genes
6. Tobiano, Sabino, White and Roan (KIT)
8. Overo, Frame Overo and Splashed White
9. Leopard (Appaloosa) Spotting
10. Putting It All Together: Color by Design
11. Parentage Testing
12. Medical Genetics
13. Horse Karyotype and Chromosomal Abnormalities
14. Genetics of Performance
15. Pedigrees and Breeding Schemes
16. Mitochondria, Y chromosomes, Epigenetics and Incomplete Penetrance
17. Genetic Nature of Breeds
19. Frequently Asked Questions
20. Where do we go from here?
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!