430 pages, 52 line diagrams, 39 tabs
The dominant trees of Australia, eucalypts make up a remarkable genus. This authoritative volume provides current reviews by active researchers of many disciplines, including evolutionary history, genetics, distribution and modelling, the relationship of eucalypts to fire and nutrients, ecophysiology, pollination and reproductive ecology, interactions between eucalypts and other co-existing biota (including fungi, invertebrates and vertebrates), and conservation and management. Together these reviews shed light on the reasons for the great success of eucalypts in Australian environments, and provide a comprehensive summary for comparison with the ecology of major woody plant genera in other continents. Eucalypt Ecology is of particular relevance to Australian ecologists, but also provides a stimulating perspective to students of vegetation ecology in all continents.
"A splendid ecological overview for this massive and dominant Australian genius."
"[...] I recommend this book to anyone seeking information on the ecology of eucalypt and/or of eucalypts ecosystems."
– Journal of Vegetarian Science
"[...] it fills a vital need as part of any reference collection, because of the centrality of its subject and the breadth, currency and authority of its content."
– Deirdre Slattery, Department of Outdoor Education and Nature Tourism
1. Eucalypts - an introduction Jann Williams, and M. Ian H. Brooker
2. Phylogenetic history and classification of eucalypts Pauline Y. Ladiges
3. Reproductive biology of eucalypts Susan M. House
4. Eucalypt genetics and genecology Brad M. Potts, and Rod J. E. Wiltshire
5. Evolutionary biogeography and contemporary distribution of eucalypts Grant Wardell-Johnson, Jann Williams, Ken Hill, and Russell Cumming
6. Modelling environmental and temporal niches of eucalypts Mike P. Austin, Jean G. Pausas, and Ian R. Noble
7. Eucalypts and fires: interdependent or independent? A. Malcolm Gill
8. Eucalypt ecophysiology David T. Bell, and Jann E. Williams
9. Nutrient cycling in eucalypt ecosystems Heather Keith
10. Vascular plant-eucalypt interactions Jamie B. Kirkpatrick
11. Fungal diversity and ecology in eucalypt ecosystems Tom W. May, and Jack A. Simpson
12. Invertebrates of eucalpyt formations Jonathon D. Majer, Harry F. Recher, A. Bruce Wellington, John C. Z. Woinarski, and Alan L. Yen
13. Vertebrates of eucalypt formations John C. Z. Woinarski, Harry F. Recher, and Jonathon D. Majer
14. Herbivory: interactions between eucalypts and the vertebrates and invertebrates that feed on them Jill Landsberg, and Steven Cork
15. Conservation and management of eucalypt ecosystems Tony Norton
16. Eucalypt ecology: overview and outlook Jann E. Williams, and J. C. Z. Woinarski
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!